1991 cadillac, chip in key

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
barryh 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 9:28 AM / IP Logged  

Anyone,

I have a 1991 cadillac coupe seville that has the security feature of the chip in the key.  Well, apparently the sensor that reads the chip has gone bad and my car is stuck in a dealers parking lot.  I just happened to be near the lot when the problem occurred.  Car just won't start.  Dealer wants $500 to fix the problem and give new keys.  Is there a way to bypass this circuitry so that the computer does not have to see the chip to start the car.  I'm buying a new car and just don't want to spend a fortune on this one although it still runs very well.  Any help or directions would be appreciated.   I read something about placing a resistor within the circuit to bypass, but don't know if thats a viable option.  Thanks in advance.

Barry
Abercrombie5366 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  
i dont know a whole lot about them, but what if you bought a new igniton cylinder or something and took out the old one? im not sure about them though
sub sonic 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2004 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  

the stuff you read is correct. the first thing to do is find your key r-code or resistance. next, drop the underdash panel, look for a orange wire

that kind of looks like telephone wire running along side your steering collum. cut this wire in half . you should find two tiny white wires inside this telephone looking wire. find a resistor that reads the same as the pellet on     your key .carefully strip the two tiny wires that are inside on the cut half opposite your steering . connect the resistor between these two wires and your done. i hope this helps some.                     

gill secure
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 01, 2004 at 12:42 AM / IP Logged  
Your problem can be fixed with a $.10 resistor.
What subsonic said is correct. If you can't do that or the dealer won't (they won't) then have the car towed to a alarm/audio shop and tell them you want them to permanately bypass your VATS. Should only take about a half hour tops.
Whatever you do, don't buy a new computer or ignition cylinder like the dealer wants. No need to pay to fix GM's defective anti-theft system that goes bad all the time.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic