icon

Butt Connectors or Solder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
BoominRolla 
Copper - Posts: 198
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

To me its mostly a time issue... the faster I work on a car and get it done the more I get paid in theory... I would much rather solder but where I am most people don't want to pay (poor economy). We were trying to do the whole solder of a harness into the car that way when the customer is done with the unit when we pull it out we just pull the brain and leave all harnesses and bypasses in... and have them buy new ones but my boss wasn't for it... We use butt connectors for all appropriate connections if its vats wiring in a gm car or something really small i'll use solder... I use solder in my own vehicle with glue heatshrink. Certain harness i'll use solder with to hold resistors/diodes better.

I also agree solder may be more reliable in the LONG run. but we've had installers using butt connectors and t-taps for 8+ years and no problems yet... I KNOW Y'ALL GONNA HATE ME FOR THAT!! Its not me, its my job... SORRY!!!

/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
i think if i had to take one over the other, in any situation, i'd choose sodering, if i can pick up a friend of my brothers while hes holding onto a loop of wire i test soldered, and keep him dangling, i think thats safe enough to say that soldering probably would outlast any other option under these same or more extreme conditions.
now obviously 150lbs is not going to be put on a wire under normal circumstances, but if it doesnt fail then i can safely say it wont happen down the road :-).
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic