icon

Ground Q/A sticky

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bradreeves94 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 15, 2009 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 1996 Toyota Camry 4-door, I have a 1,000 Watt Sony Amplifier. I am trying to find a good ground location in the trunk to use as the ground for my amp..any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance
Brad Reeves
tre918 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2009 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
ok I just got a new deck an a wire with a build in fuse holder to run inline with the deck,. I got it grounded to the harness an chassis of the car, But my amp is still shutting down,I'm thinking I need new ground wire or remote, or a bigger fuse, My amp will shut off an it won't be hot or nothing it just shut's down.
Trent Schmidt
tre918 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2009 at 9:14 AM / IP Logged  
SO I found out that it was my sub, guess that's what I get for hookin up a pioneer to a memphis street edge amp, that thing pounds hard core for only 200 watts.
Trent Schmidt
hemiboy29 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 3:15 PM / IP Logged  
flynntech wrote:

This is just my opinion so don't take it for gospel, running a ground wire all the way to the back is impractiacal. The only thing that makes any sense here is that all grounds should be at the same potential, zero volts.

Yes, the factory wiring is rarely in any kind of shape to supply clean power to the HU, this is common.  Ground the HU to the body right about where the HU is, if you have to run a ground directly to the firewall or floor, that's fine. Also, bring 12 + directly from the battery, fused as always.

A muting plug is simply an RCA plug with the two conductors shorted together. Anyone can do this with a pig tail, by splicing the wiring with a crimp. Soldering the pins together is better.

Just remember: DO NOT CONNECT THE MUTING PLUGS TO THE OUTPUT!!! 

The only purpose of the muting plug is to zero the input signal at the line level INPUTS......It will short the output stages of the HU or whatever else, since it is indeed a shorted plug.

Thanks for the great advise i am going to try this on my ride i have eng. noise that drives me crazy!!!

hemiboy29 
Member - Posts: 22
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
I would go off of the truck latch... its great ground....
custombass 
Copper - Posts: 54
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2009 at 6:49 PM / IP Logged  
Check to make sure that you are not overloading your amp. Make sure that you are using the proper size wire for both your ground and power to your amplifier. Check all connections to ensure no loose connectors or wires are hampering the performance of your amp.
jizmak55 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  
I just got done with the big three in my car.  I put the alternator positive to battery positive, the battery negative to strut tower, and battery negative to alternator bolt. Also the two explod amps in my trunk are run to a distribution block and then run into a strut tower.  I was told that the alternator is absolute ground in a car therefore it and a nice clean strut tower are the best grounds.  But!!!!! my lights are still dimming.  I have the big three done, an optima yellow top, and a db electrical 200a alternator my cap says im idleing at 15v when long bass notes hit it drops to around 12v, 11.5 at the lowest.  DB electrical says the alternator will hit 189a at 1500 rpms.  But when im runnin those 1500 rpms im still dimmin.  My amps are cheap xplod 1000 watt. theres no way they really acheive 2000 watts so its not really straining my electrical system.  Does this mean I have bad grounds
Db electrical 200a alt
0awg wiring kit
Yellow top optima
2 pioneer premier TS30004DVC subs
tre918 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 15, 2009 at 10:26 PM / IP Logged  
I would say tryin grounding your amp to the chassie of the car, like on the side or under the rear deck, be sure to scrap of the paint to bare metal.
Trent Schmidt
berzina123 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
Chances are better than the average bear that it is the headunit that is the culprit. Take a small length of wire and bare the ends on it. Attach one end to ground on the cd player. Take the other end and wrap it around the shield of one of the rca cables where it plugs into the cd player and see if that gets rid of the noise. Post back the results.
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 16, 2009 at 5:38 AM / IP Logged  
Interesting term "absolute ground" for/from the alternator.
I wonder how it compares to a battery (absolute?) ground?
Does absolute ground have a specific meaning at this site - or is it another one of those terms where I reckon I know what they mean (in a certain context or example).... etc etc, but it's not a bonafide term (unlike absolute zero etc)?
FYI - I see that Master DYohn refers to absolute ground as being the alternator casing and this is fine (and logical) for a charging system since the battery ground will NOT be lower than "a charging alternator's" ground (but it may be higher).
But if talking about a discharging system, the absolute ground is the battery ground.
Hence my pedantic query - is AbsGnd a "fixed" location of reference point. (I suspect not - it should obviously vary with each "reference" situation.)
Page of 24

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic