robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:23 PM / IP Logged  
i dont work for peanuts
Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 9:59 PM / IP Logged  

I don't know why people don't  twist, solder, and tape, , it takes me 5 min to do a complete deck harness.   All you need is a quality iron and its easy as spreading half melted butter.  It actually takes me longer to crimp , and i can't sleep an night if i crimp wires for a customer.

I even solder the spade terminals at the amp, , i crimp, solder, , then slide the insulation over top.

When people pay $60 a hour for me, they dam whell expect a A+++ install.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 24, 2004 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

I ALWAYS solder and tape or heat shrink. And in situtations when i can't solder, I use crimp caps and heat shrink.

Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Do you solder or tape your connections? - Page 3 -- posted image.
dfiddy 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 1:53 AM / IP Logged  
T-taps, scotch locks, and liquid electrical tape for me =( jk solder and tape on all connections. =)
raydawg357 
Silver - Posts: 769
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 8:59 AM / IP Logged  
T- taps should be outlawed in the mobile electronic world. 
Do it right the first time
tombrooklyn 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:30 AM / IP Logged  
Do you prefer to tape or heat shrink after soldering your connections?
tombrooklyn 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:38 AM / IP Logged  

Sounds like soldering is a good idea and crimping is pretty good also.    Good info put out here.  Thanks.

As a partial aside, but perhaps of some interest to soldering people, I just came across  this report of a new development of soldering in outer space.  

http://science.nasa.gov/headlines/y2004/16aug_solder.htm?list1096816

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 9:39 AM / IP Logged  
Heat shrink is preferred because of the tendency of tape to unravel in the extreme environment of a car.  That means having, on hand, a good supply of various-sized heat shrink tubes, which most individuals do not have.  So, normally, you'll see electrical tape used instead.  But if you have the tubes, they're faster, cleaner, better looking and will not come off after time.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
ravenndude 
Silver - Posts: 250
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:27 AM / IP Logged  
that pretty much says it all ... i use heat shrink when i have it and tape when i don't. I'm not an installer at all and i've only worked on my own car ...
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
...not all, lol...I've had situations before where I slipped the tube onto the wire but didn't push it away from the solder joint far enough...then when the joint was heated the tube shrunk to the wire because of the heat conducted through the wire.  So the connection got wrapped with tape anyway and I wasted a tube.  There are places where the wires are so bound by harnesses that there is not enough extra wire length to push the tube far enough away from the solder joint while it's being heated.  And in places where you're making a "T" connection, shrink tubes will do no good.  In those cases you're pretty much stuck with having to tape the joint.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic