icon

Do you solder or tape your connections?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
heavilymedicate 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  

I agree that crimping is second to soldering.  However, to snub crimping (were applicable) is a bit snobbish IMO.  If you are soldering even the deck wires in a average install then you are going above and beyond.  Nothing wrong with that really, then again, nothing wrong with crimping.  Maybe I will switch to soldering in the near future though, the fact I admit it is better sort of takes the shine off crimping.  Tombrooklyn, cool link.

xploder21 
Member - Posts: 44
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 2:24 PM / IP Logged  
I think soldering is the best way to connect things together. I mainly use solder and electrical tape when working on other people's systems. Right now since mine is still in the baby stages I use mostly solderless connectors.
customsound79 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 3:53 PM / IP Logged  
Heat shrink is great for lableing!
Do you solder or tape your connections? - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.
My wife will never understand why, lucky for her!
customsound79 
Copper - Posts: 65
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 4:16 PM / IP Logged  
I have far too much time on my handsDo you solder or tape your connections? - Page 4 - Last Post -- posted image.
My wife will never understand why, lucky for her!
ragtoplvr 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 6:31 PM / IP Logged  

The problem with twist and tape, is it is not oxygen tight.  So, the connection will corrode, and will evenutally fail.  End of story.

Solder, can also fail, if you use bad technique.  If you know what you are doing, IMHO it is best.

The heatshrink with the solder preforms and hot melt on the ends is the very best, and expensive.  Check out Raychem.

Crimp, IF, repeat IF you use a quality crimper, not the $5.00 tools, the $100 +kind.  IF you use quality crimps, like Amp, 3M, T&B, Panduit.  You have to use the right size for the wire gage.  If you use the wrong size,  cheap crimper ,  cheap crimps, then worse than solder.  Never pre tin a wire when crimping.  And if crimped right, you NEVER have to backup solder.

For a no brainer, wire nuts with the metal spring insert, the proper size will squeeze the wires so tight,  it is oxygen tight, and if in doubt, a little grease, silicone is best, before screwing on is even better.  Use a wire tie or military lacing cord, to support the wires just under the wire nut.  Best when changing systems all the time.

My $.02

Rod

Rod
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: August 25, 2004 at 10:02 PM / IP Logged  
I never use heat shrink, I always solder and tape the connections individually then I tape the entire harness up so I have one big ass black snake. Never have I ever seen my harness even start to come untaped. I have no problem with heat shrink, I just find it to be a waste of my tme and never really cared for it much.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic