icon

Craig car stereo

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

Does anyone know of any VIntage Car audio sites??? 

I would like to see the type of activity from b4 my time..

At an atique farm i saw this 1960's delay box.. for underdash mount.. had mint 60's style trim and knobs..

anyone?? ...............anyone,anyone??

Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2004 at 8:23 PM / IP Logged  

The original Craig Electronics in Compton, CA was liquidated in 1997 after several financial scandals.  They imported and relabeled largely Japanese gear throuout the 60's, 70's and 80's, usually from Sony, Audiovox and Casio.  The trademark on the name was forfeited in 97 as well, so whoever is using it now has no relationship to the original company.  Same thing happened to the name Phase Linear.

I actually owned a Craig home receiver in the mid 70's.  All Sony inside and sounded really good!

Support the12volt.com
chevyman26 
Copper - Posts: 227
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
Wow! Phase Linear! That's the first time I've heard of them since a friend had a pair of Phase Linear 6x9's with a Sony 200 W amp (before Sony car audio gear was looked down upon) in a Ford Tempo. I think it was in about '93 or '94.  To this day, all speakers I hear are compared to them. I have never heard anything clearer, and have never been able to find them since. Weren't they associated with Boston Acoustics, or is that who bought them out? Maybe Boston saw some real competition finally, and took em over real quick, lol. 
You'd better get me out of this lord... or else you'll have me to deal with. -- Hunter S. Thompson "F.A.L.I.L.V."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
Phase Linear was Bob Carver's company.  Their gear was beyond compare.  So was Carver gear, the company that Bob created next.  Carver magnetic field amplifiers for the car are amazing if you can find them.  His current enterprise is Sunfire, building some of the best home theatre gear in the world.  If you want to hear a subwoofer that completely disobeys all the recognized physics about size, check out the Sunfire Super Junior.  20Hz @ 120db from a 9" cube...
Support the12volt.com
robb420in323 
Copper - Posts: 101
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
i guess not.
Hunter S. Thompson for sheriff
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic