Need some help with forming curves

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
TCalYen 
Copper - Posts: 145
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 9:20 AM / IP Logged  

What's up all...

Long time reader... newbie poster...Need some help with forming curves -- posted image.

I'm getting ready to build a center console for my Durango.

Briefly, it will be housing a 10" flush mounted monitor up front, various switches, a fog machine, and a motorized 7" monitor in the rear.

Now I've seen my fair share of fiberglassed center consoles that just have the top fiberglassed and the sides are viynl (sp) covered pieces of wood.

I'd like to have to whole enlosure fiberglassed with rounded edges going from the top to the sides.  I've read things about some sort of foam being used but still am unsure of how to get these curves with minimal body filler being needed.

Any help is appreciated.

You can see the interior of the vehicle in question by clicking on this link and then going to the interior page.

http://members.cardomain.com/tcalyen

Thanks,

TCalYen
jmartinez 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

bow big of a "curve around the top or sides are you shooting for... is it something that you could possible achieve by hitting edges with a router?  doing that will still give you a rather "boxy" look though... i would say build a skeleton out of MDF to the shape you like using flat sheets of mdf for the sides and then cut arcs of the desired curve length to make all the corners that you want to curve...  now thats real real basic short summary of how to do it...  tideous work it is though im sure...

-J

HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2004 at 11:13 PM / IP Logged  
I was gonna suggest the same thing.  I dont think you will need to use thick 3/4 mdf for arcs though, you can probably use something a little thinnner and easier to cut & shape.  I would suggest making a frame with all the curves out of wood.  If this doesnt come out too good, I think foam can be used too, let us know the progress!
PopcornPlaya 
Member - Posts: 19
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2004 at 4:42 PM / IP Logged  
You could theoretically, carve it ouf of high density foam, coat it in a releasing wax/agent and then glass over that.  The releasing agent can be bought at www.selectproducts.com
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 3:24 PM / IP Logged  

I'm getting ready to start this project next weekend... I'll provide updates.

The console is going to house a head unit, dvd player, 10" monitor, various switches, and inside with be a fog machine and power inverter both accesible from the exterior of the console.  I'm also going to have a motorized 7" monitor in the back of the console.

TCalYen
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  

Go down to your local floral place (Michaels) and buy the green foam they use for floral arrangements.  It is dirt cheap and can be fiberglassed on.  Just glue the bricks together and carve the shape you need.  Once you have it fiberglassed, just add a little gassoline and it will eat away all the foam, leaving the desired shape.  Good luck!

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

boxmaker85 
Silver - Posts: 433
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
Dude since no one's said it, that's a kick @$$ ride.  (that or i'm a durango fan).  But yeah I'd go for the mdf/other wood frame.  That'll give added strength and not too expensive.  Up to the personal taste though.
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  

boxmaker85 wrote:
Dude since no one's said it, that's a kick @$$ ride.  (that or i'm a durango fan).  But yeah I'd go for the mdf/other wood frame.  That'll give added strength and not too expensive.  Up to the personal taste though.

Thanks for the comp's... I guess I'm going to figure it out as I go along.

TCalYen
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 13, 2004 at 7:13 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

Go down to your local floral place (Michaels) and buy the green foam they use for floral arrangements.  It is dirt cheap and can be fiberglassed on.  Just glue the bricks together and carve the shape you need.  Once you have it fiberglassed, just add a little gassoline and it will eat away all the foam, leaving the desired shape.  Good luck!

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Dude, that's a real good idea!

TCalYen
TCalYen 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 02, 2004 at 1:40 PM / IP Logged  

Tonight I'm cutting everypiece of the center console out of cardboard and duct taping them together to see what I come up with.

To anyone that's installed single din units in fiberglass housings.  How did you configure the innards of the console to support the weight of the din sized unit?

Thanks,

TCalYen
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic