icon

Wiring an Illuminated Rocker Switch?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bebefouch 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 3:41 AM / IP Logged  

I've done a search already, but found answers for different applications.

Anyways, I've installed some fog lights on my car, it comes with its own switch (3 position). I bought some illuminated 2 position rocker switches to turn the fog lights on and off.

The illuminated rocker switch has three prongs on the back. One is for ground, one is for power in, and one is for power out. (Thats what I was told anyways, and one of the prongs is actually a brass color, different from the other two).
My fog lights came with a whole wiring harness and a 3 position rocker switch, also with 3 prongs. My fog lights are a 2 in 1 system, theres the actual fog light, and on the side there is a little blue auxillary light, which I don't see myself using. I'll attach a wiring diagram to help explain what i'm talking about. Anyways, the middle position of the 3 position fog light switch turns the lights off of course (labelled "O"). When you flip the switch to position one (labelled "l") only the fog lights come on. When you flip the switch to position two (labelled "ll") only the blue auxillary lights come on.

Wiring an Illuminated Rocker Switch? -- posted image.

3 position switch                                 2 position illuminated switch

What I want to do is, be able to turn only the fog lights on, by switching on my 2 position rocker switch, which of course will light up when the fog lights are on. I'm really new to wiring and electronics, so I have no idea on what to do. To further complicate things, my dad said I will need another relay for the switch alone, so it doesn't burn out. I don't think I do, but what do I know.  I'm really at a loss as to what I should do, or where I should start splicing wires. I hope i've explained this good enough, hope someone can help me.

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  

I see no need for another relay, one should be sufficient. Can you see which wires are from the foglights themselves, if so, just connect the wire from them to the relay and disregard the wires from the aux. lights.

If you cant see which are which, then trial and error, just be sure not to connect the ground to a power source.

hope this is what you were looking for.

bebefouch 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2004 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  

I know the yellow wire goes to the blade thats behind position 1 ("I" on the switch), which turns on the fog lights. The middle wire is red, i'm guessing it's probably power??? I really don't know (the whole harness is protected with this black rubber/plastic sheath, otherwise i'd just trace the wire lol). From those 2 wires alone would I be able to hook them up to my illuminated switch???

If I can, I 'm assuming the yellow wire could go to the "power in" blade on the illuminated switch, and the red wire would go to the "power out" blade.....I know I'd still have to ground the switch, but would this work???

Chad7n7 
Silver - Posts: 408
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2004 at 9:49 AM / IP Logged  

That should do the trick.

TonyPTX 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2004 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  
bebefouch wrote:

I know the yellow wire goes to the blade thats behind position 1 ("I" on the switch), which turns on the fog lights. The middle wire is red, i'm guessing it's probably power??? I really don't know (the whole harness is protected with this black rubber/plastic sheath, otherwise i'd just trace the wire lol). From those 2 wires alone would I be able to hook them up to my illuminated switch???

If I can, I 'm assuming the yellow wire could go to the "power in" blade on the illuminated switch, and the red wire would go to the "power out" blade.....I know I'd still have to ground the switch, but would this work???

Not to further confuse things, but if the red line really is the power "supply" from the battery, shouldn't IT go to the Power IN?  and the yellow wire being the Power OUT to energize the relay coil?

turtle_power 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
bebefouch wrote:

the red wire is usually hot (positive) the black wire is usually ground (negative) and the other color (yellow in ur case) is usually the alternate wire (aux. lights in ur case) for the most part in most switches, the copper lead is more than not positive, and the middle switch is almost always the ground lead, the third lead is the lead for the alternate on position to turn on another feature in the same wiring (ie. ur aux lights)

im sorta like jesus, in a non-sacreligious way.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic