icon

1.5 DIN + pics

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
randman1 
Member - Posts: 29
Member spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 4:12 PM / IP Logged  
I recently aquired a double-DIN in-dash LDC headunit. Originally, I was going to install it in my 2000 F150 but found that it would require some modifications. Instead, I decided to put it in my toy... a 93 Bonneville SSEi. I used a lot of information aquired from this forum and some ingenuity to enlarge the factory DIN-and-a-half opening to receive the new radio. I still need to texture and paint it but here are the results:
After the Bondo phase:
1.5 DIN + pics -- posted image.
Polycarbonate "spacers" so factory mounting brackets can be used:
Nesteled in the modified dash opening:
Primer colored trim panel installed:
Upon reinstalling the trim panel, I realized that it did not have the opening for the HUD controls to the left of the steering column. The trim came from a parts car I had. I nearly broke the switches. So this is just another thing to add to my list.
kidtransam 
Copper - Posts: 99
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 14, 2004 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
Nice work..looks clean. Id like to see it when you get the texture and color coats on.
With a torch and a big enough hammer...it WILL friggin fit!!
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Looks great. What did you use? Bondo or Duramix for the fabrication?
DXAV
randman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
Bondo-Glass was used for the structure then regular Bondo to clean up the surfaces. I was looking for Kitty Hair but, from what I now understand, the fibers are larger and might have been more difficult to work with.
My local supplier was out of the texture but I picked up the paint today. I still need to work the trim more (I forgot about the HUD switch). Hopefully Wed or Thurs it will be complete.
Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm not a professional, just a DIY'er that enjoys a challange.
ophidia31 
Copper - Posts: 78
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  
dude. that is freakin sweet. nice job. i was going to get one of the new eclipse 2din screens but they dont have the voltage that i want in the pre-outs.
randman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
The HUD switch opening turned out to be more difficult than the radio opening. I tried to measure the original trim piece and transfer to the new one but I ended up off the mark. What I needed was a great reference point. I decided to make a reverse mold of the original trim taking advantage of the vertical seam to the right of the opening. It was prepped with masking tape and Carnuba wax.
It took two tries to get the mold right. The first one was nearly a disaster as the glass was everywhere. Fortunately, I used enough wax to remove the hardened glass.
Once the mold hardened, it was released from the original trim. I sprayed it with shellac to seal the surface and applied more wax. Here's the mold without ant prep:
The new trim panel was cut oversized of the mold to ensure enough surface for the glass to bond. Once the opening was large enough, the mold was clamped into place.
More glopping
Fresh out of the mold
After some sanding
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 7:20 AM / IP Logged  
Dude that is awesome extremely good idea w/ the reverse mold. Way to stay on top of those toes!
drsnoze 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 8:22 AM / IP Logged  
is that and eclipse model?
dxav 
Silver - Posts: 314
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 8:43 AM / IP Logged  
Just to let you know, Duramix is a much better product for use with plastics. Since Bondo types of materials do not really bond to plastics, several months down the line, they will shrink on the edges and begin to peal from the plastics.
Duramix is designed for plastics, where Bondo (and kitty hair) are not.
I learned this the hard way. You may want to check into 3M's automotive division for the Duramix materials. The 40/40 is an adhesive, and you can use the 40/58 for the filler paste.
It does look great.
DXAV
randman1 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2004 at 9:06 AM / IP Logged  

desnoze wrote:
is that and eclipse model?

Yes, it's a AVX2404. I'm a little dissapointed in the DVD picture quality but it's very nice otherwise

Thanks for the tips, dxav. See, that's the difference between an amature and a professional. Knowing the specifics. I found this which shows the Duramix product line-up. It looks like there is no pre-mixing involved?? There is a Sherman-Williams auto paint store near me that supplies the local auto body shops. Do you think these products can be found there?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic