icon

Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
what amp would be nice for 2 12" shivas? under 200 bucks...
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
? ... I have a US Acoustic usb600d amp right now... is it enough for 2 shivas? if not, what should i buy?
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
 I wouldn't use it for two shivas...Personally..and it seems like i've reccomended this amp a thousand times in the past week...id go with the JBL 600.1 off www.sounddomain.com ..they're refurbished but its a steal on them...i think they're like $150-160 plus shipping..great amp
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:59 PM / IP Logged  
but u see... that puts out 600w rms @ 2ohms... the Acoustic puts out exactly the same... ?
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
and one more question... what box specs are recommended for the shivas? cant seem to find it on the adireaudio.com site... ?
uthinkuknoaudio 
Silver - Posts: 760
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Send a PM to Steven Kephart (That is his sn) and ask him the following questions. He is the expert on it. By the way, JBL power is far better than US Acoustics. I've always been a JBL fan as they are great for the money, and they live up to their statistics ALWAYS. You really don't know what power ratings you need, so don't forget to ask that! My Brahma's are 1600 RMS and i'm only running 800 into them and they blast !!! ... That is also because i havea five foot cubic box for them ported to 32 hz...
"I don't play games. I play Nakamichi and that for real yo" - Probably some japanese kid said this in the early 80's trying to sell stereo out of his trunk lol.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
The US Acoustic will be just fine. Don't buy an upgrade until you've tried out what you currently have.
You can always plug the t/s parameters into a program to design the box. But this sheet has some recommendations:
Sales Sheet
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:16 PM / IP Logged  
so here... i will just order 2 shivas... and put them in with my amp... if it bumps well, i will keep it as is... if it doesnt... well, the JBL 600.1 should do the trick... Correct?
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  
yes, thats fair..try your amp out first..if you're not happy with it then get a jbl..something i always suggest to is if you get a JBL and you have a ported box...purchase a pair of RCA splitters and an F-Mod because the BP series amps lack a SSF.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:44 PM / IP Logged  
Your current USAc. amp is more than sufficient to run those Shivas. You'll hear very little difference between that USAc and the JBL. Even if the USAc is overrated by 20 watts, who cares? 20watts won't be audible. The JBL will be slightly cleaner, but then again, I doubt you'd hear an audible difference. If your current amp works I think it would be a bit of a waste to replace it with a very similar amp.
Instead put your effort into the box construction. Box planning and construction will have a MUCH larger role in determining the quality of your bass than the difference between those two amplifiers. Use some of the money you saved by not buying a new amp to double up on MDF on the front baffle and brace the box.
I'll echo audiobass, be sure to implement a subsonic filter if you go ported.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic