the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:17 PM / IP Logged  
Klapping, there are some things you have to do yourself.  Look to the left of this page for many, many help tools.
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:23 PM / IP Logged  
i have no idea on how to convert things... what would be the length, hight, and depth of a box to shiva's dimensions?
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
I told you, that depends on how you want the box to sound. Seriously, look at the subwoofer building link and Shiva information links I posted you.
There isn't such a thing as one perfect box for any given subwoofer. YOU need to take a look at the difference between different box sizes and see what YOU think will make you happy.
READ those links I took the time to post you.
If I'm taking the time to post the links and help you, at least try to help yourself by checking them out.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:45 PM / IP Logged  
ok i already looked earlier... it doesnt give u the actual dimensions tho... i want like... you know... 13 inches high, 14 inches deep... etc... i cant do much with a buncha numbers i dont understand... here...
my box is...
Length - 22.5"
Hight - 12"
Depth - 13.5"
That is all without the port in the middle... as if i were to just seal the ports... now, can sumone help me by giving me dimensions to the shivas? actual dimensions... as in lengths of the sides, etc...
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 10:47 PM / IP Logged  
well hopefully i can be of some help.
Klapping i know you want to attempt to get the 'best' from 500$. for me, i was a nimrod and money wasnt so much of a factor for me and now im paying out the ass for it financially. (at least i love listening to music in my car...)
First off;
the subs you have been talking about, the shivas, will preform well, that has been established by alotta people here already, but i ask you, do you need 2? are you getting 2 because of your wiring setup, or do you want 2 to because its going to be really loud(er), if you dont want to save some money, buy 1 sub, find out whether you need dvc 2ohm, dvc 4ohm, svc 2ohm/4ohm ect. if you want to run your subs with a certain resistance, we can help you there.
Your amplifier: 260watts is a bit of power in itself, and with that would run 1 sub better i believe, than 2subs. but if you think 260 is still insufficent, what will you do with your current amp, sell? if you do that i would read what audiobass said about some refurbd amps on for cheap, should give alot more bang for less buck. and if they are through sounddomain or ikesound you should not have to worry about fraudulencey or false claims. i've heard good stories from both sites.
and finally your box, which probably has you slamming your head on your desk right now with you saying "I KNOW ALREADY, PISS OFF!!", but it is important that you start doing this stuff yourself, its important because you will be listening to this, and if you make 1 box, and it doesnt sound good, you have to be the judge of whether its not hitting low enough, or if its too muffled... there are certain things that you can do to help soften either type of bass, polyfill to suggest more volume in the box, to give it more room when your bass isnt hitting low enough (that or more power i believe), or fill it with some solid material to shrink of the inside volume.
there is a program, winISD that can help you out here to determine what box volume you would be better off using. acquiring the T/S stats are a must, and from there you work out a volume for your box to find a certain Q, which will in turn explain (sort of) what type of bass you can expect to hear when its built. now im not giving you the WxHxD because i dont know, but i do know that if i give you 1 size, the volume you need may not fit the trunk because one sides too high or 2 sides even, i based my box off the amount of space i wanted to give my sub, which would a volume of over 1.4cuFT, for 1 sub, this took up 40-50% of my trunk space when its all said and done, and i dont even know when i put my box in, where i'll be mounting a 24"Wx11"Dx4"H. thats why you need to be the spec builder. each box is unique to the trunk it fits in because not all box's can fit into the same trunk. if you start learning T/S parameters, and winISD making a box will come in time.
you also have not purchased a sub yet, so you have ample time to learn, and figure out how much volume you want to contribute to your sub.
im sure i havent explained things well enough for a complete comprehension, and im sorry i wish i could let you know my understanding of things.
i hope this has been some, if any help to you, we can help you with the box's volume, even if you didnt want it before, but we need T/S stats, and help on your part to know what you want out of your sub(s).
and you were looking for an online box maker? i honestly think that is a waste of time, look in your phone book, or goto a local lumberyard and see if they know of any cabinet builders, or general carpenters. i sent my box dimensions, down to the last decimal to a cabinet maker around this area, and we're just waiting for my sub to arrive so we can fit it in and see what we need to do to accomidate the sub. usually they are good about a box, so paying the person a couple hours for labour with your own supplies comes out to something fairly decent. and there isnt anything wrong with supporting local businesses. as i said it would be a waste of time for an online box maker, and too expensive if your budget is only 500$, your looking at shipping charges out the ass for something that heavy, bulky and not to mention somewhat fragile (i'd hate to have a box be dropped through transit ;-( )
GL and i'll be watching this thread, having a shiva in a well designed box will pound the sh*t out of those xplods.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:04 AM / IP Logged  
Klapping:
/r7 just gave you an excellent post. Please read it and follow his excellent advice.
Also, you keep missing the point. We can't tell you what dimensions to use because YOU need to pick how you want the box to sound! Different sized boxes will sound different!
Whatever you do don't just drop them into the box you currently have .. it will probably sound awful.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:45 AM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=/R7] well hopefully i can be of some help.
Klapping i know you want to attempt to get the 'best' from 500$. for me, i was a nimrod and money wasnt so much of a factor for me and now im paying out the ass for it financially. (at least i love listening to music in my car...)
First off;
the subs you have been talking about, the shivas, will preform well, that has been established by a lot of people here already, but i ask you, do you need 2? or are you getting 2 because of your wiring setup, or do you want 2 to because its going to be really loud(er), if you want to save some money, buy 1 sub, find out whether you need dvc 2ohm, dvc 4ohm, svc 2ohm/4ohm ect. if you want to run your subs with a certain resistance, we can help you there.
Your amplifier: 260watts is a bit of power in itself, would run 1 sub better, than 2subs, i believe. but if you think 260 is still insufficent, what will you do with your current amp, sell it? if you do that i would re-read what audiobass said about some refurb'd amps on for cheap, they should give alot more bang for less buck, and if they are through sounddomain or ikesound you should not have to worry about fraudulencey or false claims. i've heard good stories from both sites.
Finally your box, which probably has you slamming your head on your desk right now with you saying "I KNOW ALREADY, PISS OFF!!", but it is important that you start doing this stuff yourself, its important because you will be listening to this sub, and if you make 1 box, and it doesnt sound good, you have to be the judge of whether its not hitting low enough, or if its too muffled... there are certain things that you can do to help soften either type of bass. polyfill; to suggest more volume in the box than what is actually there, to give it more room when your bass isnt hitting low enough (that or more power i believe), or fill it with some solid material to shrink of the inside volume and lessen the muffled sound. these are options im going to be considering on my box, but i have to get my sub in there and see what it sounds like first.
there is a program, winISD that can help you out here to determine what box volume you would be better off using, based on your preference. acquiring the T/S stats are a must, and from there you work out a volume for your box to find a certain Q, which will in turn explain (sort of) what type of bass you can expect to hear when its built. now im not giving you the WxHxD because i dont know them, but i do know that if i give you 1 size, the volume you need may not fit the trunk because one side is too high or even 2 sides, i based my box off the amount of space i wanted to give my sub, which was a volume of over 1.4cuFT for 1 sub. This took up 40-50% of my trunk space and when its all said and done, and i dont even know where i'll be mounting a 24"Wx11"Dx4"H Amplifier. thats why you need to be the spec builder and understand your restrictions. each box is unique to the trunk it fits in because not all box's can fit into the same trunk. if you start learning T/S parameters and winISD, making a box from this program with these parameters will come in time, and with ease and you'll beable to whip up specs for any size or shape in a minute or less.
you also have not purchased a sub yet, so you have ample time to learn and figure out how much volume you want to contribute to your sub, and whether that will fit in your trunk and allow room for an amp.
im sure i havent explained things well enough for a complete comprehension, and im sorry i wish i could let you know how i understand things. most if not 95% of what i have learned thus far, even as vague as it is, has come from this board, it would be a VERY wise decision to read a lot on this board before starting a project like you are attempting. Shiva is a sub that can preform under the right conditions, and all your friends "WILL" be envious hearing it in a proper enclosure. and then you can say, yeh i did this, i just had someone do up the cuts and assembly of a box i designed. at least you knew what you were doing. i am a person that respects the people that go out to learn a thing or 2 about something like car audio instead of letting someone else decide what they should have.
i hope this has been some, if any help to you, we can help you with the box's volume, even if you didnt want to know its volume, its more imparitive than even the dimensions you think you need, but we need T/S parameters, and help on your part to know what you want out of your sub(s). and from there, you can go to your trunk do a few measurments and fit your box to those specific dimensions.
You were looking for an online box maker? i honestly think that is a waste of time. look in your phone book, or goto a local lumberyard and see if they know of any cabinet builders, or general carpenters. i sent my box dimensions (down to the last decimal) to a cabinet maker around this area. Now we're just waiting for my sub to arrive so we can fit it in and see what we need to do to accomidate the sub. This guy has been really good to me, and i can be assured the measurments are accurate, and the box is securely built. Guys like this, are usually good about building a box, so paying the person a couple hours for labour with your own materials comes out to a reasonably priced box with accurate dimensions. and, there isnt anything wrong with supporting local businesses. as i said it would be a waste of time for an online box maker, and too expensive if your budget is only 500$ (which i think you raised from 200$ intially, dont let the ability to increase your budget get the better of you, finacial stability is more important that a thump and bump from your trunk), your looking at shipping charges out the ass for a box as big as you'll need, myself, i can hardly carry a sheet of 3/4" MDF, and a box for 1 10" or even 12" is probably going to use more than half a sheet of that 3/4", something that heavy i can garuntee will throw your budget into there 700's if not 800$ range simply due to shipping, thats not including labour, materials. MDF is also somewhat fragile dropping a sheet on its side even after setting it down can chip a side, so imagine it falling in transit... 1 crack = diaster for a box's stiffness against the flex.
GL and i'll be watching this thread, having a shiva in a well designed box will pound the sh*t out of those xplods.
edit: had to revise such a long post, i have terrible grammar.
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:47 AM / IP Logged  
Thankyou kfr. Klapping i may also add that kfr01 knows what hes talking about, hes proved it time and time again in posts littered across this board. go the extra mile and spend a lot of time figuring things out, and when its all said and done you should be a happy camper (until you need to go in for a hearing checkup)
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
whoa what the **** i did not mean to hit QUOTE, i thought that was my edit button, but apperently i can only edit my last post?
fudge, sorry about all that extra BS. damn i goofed. :(*
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 2:35 PM / IP Logged  
ok, i ordered the JBL refurbished amp... it was 171.50 with shipping and everything... i will order 2 shivas prolly tomarow or sumthing... if you think i should get a different sub, please post... before i buy...
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic