icon

Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:49 PM / IP Logged  
and, plugging a ported box... makes it a sealed box... how is that, not a good idea? ... explain...
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
Do what you want..tell us how they sound..if they sound good to you then fine. Again let us know after you install them.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:54 PM / IP Logged  
but i want to hear your guys' input on how an inch or so can make a sub sound like complete crap... as you guys are obviously making it sound out to be...
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  
by the way... those specs i posted about my box were all divided in half... so ya, its a dual box... the full specs would be just, double the front/back panels and double the top/bottom panels... =)
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Size is a big issue with ported boxes.
The issue with both sealed and ported is bracing and no unexpected leaks. Basically any flex in the box will reduce bass energy and make its own resonance sound. Leaks and flex will make the bass will sound muddied and reduce the SPL. i.e. NOT "hit."
The reason we were talking about size is because an inch off one side WILL ALWAYS change how the box sounds. You should take the time to estimate how your sub will respond to the size box you have.
Anyway. IF you brace that generic box you have AND seal it like crazy it probably won't sound like crap.
We all sound skeptical because box "hacks" like this rarely sound great.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 7:00 PM / IP Logged  
i am not doing anything to the box besides taking out 2 walls in the middle... of the 4... and Sealing it... it wont leak with the foam tape i use... its like caulking... and it works perfect... the box is built tough... there will be no leaks... and it there is a rare leak... sum caulking will do the trick...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  

Hello Kapping.

I don't think you are understanding the baffle wall cuts we are listing.  We are telling you what size to cut the wood to form an enclosure.  We aren't giving the outside dimentions of the finished enclosure.  I calculated the enclosure size you will end up with from the dimensions you provided, and figured you will have a .87 cubic foot sealed enclosure which is too small for the Shiva to sound very good in.  They really need about 1.2 cubic feet for a good sound.  And I may have misunderstood you, but I thought I read that you were going to put both Shiva's in that small enclosure.  That would be even worse.  Shiva's are great high efficency subs, but need some room to sound best.  If you are looking for a lot of output in a tiny enclosure, then I would recomend choosing a different sub.  But be warned that you are going to need a lot more power to get that output in the tiny enclosure.  You just can't beat Hoffman's Iron Law.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

customsuburb 
Gold - Posts: 1,813
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  

Klapping, sell your current box on ebay before you rip it up and then go buy a sheet of .75" mdf and some screws and make a new box. It will sound alot better than your current one like Stephen said, and you will have the satisfaction of making your own box. Shivas - Page 6 -- posted image.

Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
my box is a half inch off the exact recommended enclosure size from adire audiop's website... i think u guys are a little wrong here... i think the people who made the subs, have a little bit more knowledge on what size box, for their OWN subs... and like i said...
Its my dimensions, Times 2...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:00 PM / IP Logged  

Klapping wrote:
my box is a half inch off the exact recommended enclosure size from adire audiop's website... i think u guys are a little wrong here... i think the people who made the subs, have a little bit more knowledge on what size box, for their OWN subs... and like i said...
Its my dimensions, Times 2...

Do you have a link to where you are getting this recomendation from?  I work for Adire and know the subs very well.  If your enclosure is .85 cubic feet, then it won't sound very good.

What do you mean it's your diminsions, times 2?

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic