Shivas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
on the second page there is a post...
times 2... as in, its my dual box... not a box for a single sub... because i was going by a single sub on my earlier post...
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:11 PM / IP Logged  
so, times the dimensions earlier that i posted, by 2... and u got my box...
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

You posted outside dimensions of your enclosure.  What you are seeing on our site is how to cut the wood to make the enclosure, not the finished outside dimensions.  This means that your enclosure is further off than you think, as I mentioned earlier.  Also, you are looking at one of our high Q alignments (.95 Qtc.).  Your enclosure will have an even higher Q as it is a little smaller.  This enclosure will have less low frequency extention and more ringing due to the higher Q.  Although you might be happy with it, you will get better results in a larger enclosure.  I'd recomend going with a 1.2 cubic foot enclosure for best results.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
it is inside dimensions, not outside...
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:29 PM / IP Logged  
and, if you are saying it is too small... if i just close th port on the outside... it would be a 34" box in length... a foot high... and 13 inches deep...
/r7 
Silver - Posts: 340
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:39 PM / IP Logged  
because you havent listened to too much advice given to you other than the brand of sub. put it in your ported box. stick plywood on it, and do what you think is right, its been said before, its your ears that'll be listening to it.
if by chance it does sound good. then wonderful. but if you have a box volume of less than 1cuft per sub, your going to need a **** load more power to push those subs than you would if you built the box to an ideal volume.
you can hook your subs up, but if you come back unhappy please donot ask whats wrong, we gave you ample amounts of feedback for you to sift through and understand our own reasoning behind building a new box.
some advice that i hope you at least follow. Dont use plywood, no matter if its 3/4" or 11/16", flexxing will occur, and that will create even less SPL and SQ, at least go with 3/4" MDF, use your sealer and screws, and be done with worrying about if your plywood is or isnt doing the job. if it doesnt sound good after that, rethink your box, build it to a spec closer to what stephen even suggested. or get a lot bigger amp to push them if you want to spend even more money on such a easy fixxable task.
Klapping i feel you are taking the easiest route possible to sit and wait for subs that will take roughly a week to arrive, if not longer.
if your intentions are to just work around building a proper box, just to save time and 40$, then you should have just gone with some cheaper subs. because you really wont notice much of a different if the volume of your box will does not suite the subs.
but hopefully it does, because you've payed for everything, and hopefully with all that money spent you have given enough head-room to pay for shipping fees at your door when they arrive (if they are shipped like that, i had to pay 150$ for 1 amp, 50$ for a component set, and i dare not guess what my sub will cost ;/)
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
on top of everything else talked about.
what guage of wire do you have going to yur amp now? if you were using sonys' before im going to guessing 8guage to the amp. which should work for the JBL amp, but if it were me, using that box (and if i had no choice to use that box) i may want to upgrade to 4guage wire because those subs probably will want every drop of power you can give them in an undersized enclosure.
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:12 PM / IP Logged  
subs will be around 270 shipped... amp was 170 shipped... and, like i said the box is relatively close to what you guys are recommending...
and dude... the enclosure will be bigger... because i am sealing it from the outside... so the two middle walls, will be included...
/r7 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  
but dude..., how much bigger, give us your volume calculations, and prove us wrong.
you dont care about volume, but your subwoofers will and so will your amp too. and we're trying to help you and your subs out by telling you that if your box volume per sub is less than what was suggested by stephen (i think he said 1-1.2 cuft), your subs will have a harder time hitting low end frequencies.
you know what your doing to your box, give us the volume each sub will be sitting in. (dont forget driver displacement, and bracing displacement)
we're here to help, not confuse, anoy, and contradict you. we think your going about this the wrong way because its not an ideal setup. you dont care because its close in inches. but its the volume that we're trying to establish.
Klapping 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2004 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
think about it... if my box fits near the exact size of every board on the adire site... that is recommended... then it is near the volume...
Page of 10

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic