icon

Mounting amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bignissan 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Should I mount the amp to a piece of plywood, then to the floor? Or is on the carpet ok? I think the plywood would help dissipate heat and prevent static build up...correct? Thanks!
Greg
bignissan 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
Also, on my Kenwood 608-S, by the RCA inputs, there is a screw that says ground. Do I need to ground that AND the other side next to the power wire? I hooked it all up, with out ground the little screw by the RCA's, and it worked fine, what's that for? Do I need to ground it? Thanks!!
Klapping 
Copper - Posts: 146
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
What i did... get sum sticky velcro stuff... like tape... and just tape the spike side onto the bottom of ur amp... and it should stick to the floor pretty well... does for me, at least... =)
audiobass10 
Silver - Posts: 328
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 5:01 PM / IP Logged  
basically...you can mount your amp anywhere you want..but give it a place where it can get air and stay cool...if you enclose it where it can't get air..make sure to include fans..ideal places to mount it would be in the trunk/cargo area,under a seat or even on the box..that's what i did on my last system.
Dave
Pioneer Premier DEH-P660
15" Kicker CVR
Profile AP1000M
It's Loud
astro88 
Copper - Posts: 195
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
you can cut some small aluminum tubing to bout 1/4-1/2 long ,use them like spacers between the amp and floor, Looks a helluva lot better than plywood,imo, and good for air circulation
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 7:01 PM / IP Logged  

astro88 wrote:
you can cut some small aluminum tubing to bout 1/4-1/2 long ,use them like spacers between the amp and floor, Looks a helluva lot better than plywood,imo, and good for air circulation

Good idea there.  Wood is an insulator, so it would help the amp retain heat...which you don't want.

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 27, 2004 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  

bignissan wrote:
Also, on my Kenwood 608-S, by the RCA inputs, there is a screw that says ground. Do I need to ground that AND the other side next to the power wire? I hooked it all up, with out ground the little screw by the RCA's, and it worked fine, what's that for? Do I need to ground it? Thanks!!

That's a convenience ground screw to connect the deck chassis with the amp in case you have a whine problem, or if you're using RCA's that have an attached ground wire.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic