icon

Adjustable Flasher Unit using a Pot

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 23, 2005 at 12:09 PM / IP Logged  
I have LED bulbs in the front of my car, and so my blinkers blink too fast, and I want them to blink normally.
So yesterday I grabbed a Toyota flasher unit from a junkyard Celica and stopped by Radioshack(who had no answers by the way) and grabbed a 100k potentiometer( this one to be exact.) I soldered off the resistor from the flasher unit, and wired on two wires, one from each point where the resistor was. These two wires go to the two outer prongs on my potentiometer.
Now, when I put the modified flasher back into the car, the blinkers blink slightly faster than they do with the OEM flasher unit, and the potentiometer has no effect on the blinking speed. Did I wire it up wrong? Do I need to use the middle prong on the potentiometer?
I searched here, but all I found were references to a site that no longer exists(http://www.andrews.edu/~johnsonm/howto/hyperblinker.html). I also searched Google, and didn't come up with much, and a search on Honda-Tech.com for hyper blinkers yielded threads with sarcastic answers making fun of ricers such as "get some Hyper Blinker Fluid."
mladams 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2005 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  

The way the flasher works is by the load amount on it.  I would wire the pot. inline with the LED bulbs.  This creats the illusion of having more of a load.

Matt Adams
Electrical Engineer Major
York College of PA
Chevy Cavy Rally Sport
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:26 AM / IP Logged  
The middle one is the whiper and the outside ones are the resistor. You need one side and the middle.Adjustable Flasher Unit using a Pot -- posted image.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
hotwaterwizard 
Silver - Posts: 1,350
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 12:28 AM / IP Logged  
A large picture of the Guts top and bottom would help.
John DeRosa (Hotwaterwizard)
Stockton California
When in doubt, try it out !
Coomer 
Copper - Posts: 103
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2005 at 9:14 PM / IP Logged  
It looks just like the pot on this page:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm
So I would just disconnect one of the side terminals and connect the middle instead?

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic