the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

OT: Project Kit61

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:07 AM / IP Logged  
Check out my gallery here:
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/modules.php?set_albumName=albus40&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
I just finished the Exodus/Adire Kit61. The stands aren't sanded or painted yet.
The exterior was painted with speckle spray over multiple layers of primer and covered with a clear matte coat for protection. It was super easy and cheap and was a good way for a non-artsy person like myself to make a wife pleasing speaker. Her command: "no black MDF boxes!"
I used double binding posts in the back to allow for easy migration to bi-amping in the future. The crossover is located in the speaker stand. The insides were braced per the Kit61 specification and then double coated with Cascade audio damping spray.
I had a few learning experiences along the way that resulted in minor things I would change about the speaker (the countersink depth for the Extremis is a tad shallow and the diameter is a tad large). Only "speaker people" would notice up-close, so it isn't that big of a deal. Next time I build speakers I will create a test baffle to ensure the correct measurements.
The sound is awesome. XBL^2 is the real deal and the Extremis drivers show it off very well. It is quite shocking to hear such complete and seamless sound from a bookshelf speaker. The bass to these speakers is just there; right there. It isn't bloated or boomy or separated like all consumer sub/sat systems I've heard. It is accurate. It is deep. It is blends seamlessly into the stereo image. They sound great playing every type of music. The Usher tweeter exceeded my expectations. It isn't the -most- airy tweeter I've ever heard, but it is pretty smooth and defined and stays that way even at high volume levels. No complaints. The gem, of course, is the Extremis driver. At my normal listening levels (and beyond) I have yet to hear this thing sound strained. These were a definite upgrade over my polk towers. Bravo Exodus / Adire. (Now I have this evil urge to move these to the rear and build some LCR's).
Two negatives: (1) these guys eat power. I was using a 20 year old Sony <25 watt amplifier during the pre-solder crossover testing. Yeah, I know, no one would really use such a beast, but I really had to move that knob before I acheived room filling sound. While this won't be a concern for most people listening to stereo music, those running some HT receivers might be a tad concerned - especially if all-channels-driven power is rather low. See this report. My aging Onkyo Integra 165x2, thankfully, doesn't have any problems really moving these speakers. That said, the Integra has some watt meters and the needle hits notches at moderate listening levels with the Kit that would be ear-hurting driving my old polk towers. (2) Rap is my least favorite kind of music, so this one doesn't bother me at all, but I thought I'd share. The bass is so clean, tight, and non-subwoofer-boomy that some Rap music sounds odd. I shouldn't say odd, but just different. I think a lot of rap music thrives on the dirty, boomy, and relatively hot bass. The Kit spits out clean, tight, and balanced bass. Rap fans still might want to invest in a separate subwoofer. On that note also, you'd still probably want a subwoofer when using these for HT.
Since my amplifier is adequate and because I don't like rap much, these aren't really negatives for me.
Steven, thanks for keeping me focused on the Exodus kits and for recommending them. Kevin at DIYCable is awesome and gave me great and very polite communication and support from the minute I placed my order. He should be a highly valued Adire affiliate.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  
I heard the KIT61 at the CES, and I too, was impressed. All you say of these systems is true. The bass is VERY good - surprising, really, for a 6 inch driver.
The power hungry aspect to which you refer is the one reason I am a bit scared to put these in an aperiodic system, especially in the car. Their efficiency is too low, as well as the power handling, to cause them that kind of hit in the output arena. I am willing to perhaps give it a try, but I may build a living-room breadboard type of situation first, before dedicating the effort to the full-blown car system...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
kfr01 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:48 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, after experiencing how power hungry these really are I may scratch that AP idea. Add the noise floor of the car into the picture and you're talking some power to get the Extremis rocking in the AP enclosure. Ported enclosure in-door anyone? ;-) I wish I had the skills for that.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 8:17 AM / IP Logged  
Nice job on those speakers, kfr01.  I like that finish.  Sometimes the S.A.F. can lead us to greater things!
kfr01 
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  

Haha, very true, because I am positive that they would have been black mdf boxes had she not prodded me into something different.  She didn't like the idea of stands --- "they're called bookshelf speakers, let's find a bookshelf or small table."  She gave in on the stand idea once I explained that they had to be really heavy and that stands actually serve a purpose.  She gets to pick the finish, though.  :-) 

Here's a question that may be dumb, but that some of you experienced speaker builders can answer:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=341-200

Is this crap worth spraying on the crossover?  Does it work?  Is it smoke and mirrors?  Crap? 

Thanks  :-)

stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:43 PM / IP Logged  
I would give it a try if I were attempting to rejuvenate a 25-year old amplifier where oxidation has taken its toll...but not on a new circuit board.  But then, I don't have a can of it either...so who knows what I'd do?  lol
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  

Wow, thanks for the awesome review.  I knew you would like them.  On your comments on rap music, I really enjoy showing off the 261's and LCR's with "bass" music.  We had the LCR's in our really large warehouse and I was playing some of it and was able to vibrate the offices pretty good.  And you could barely tell I turned on the sealed Tumult.  And this is in a really large warehouse with no room gain.

I'm surprised at your comments on the efficiency.  We have actually had opposite comments by other users.  With XBL^2 drivers, although they may have an initial low efficiency rating (at 1 watt measurements), the efficiency doesn't change with excursion like on other speakers.   Although 25 watts is pretty low for most speakers. 

So now after listening to them, do you think you will add a subwoofer for your music listening?  Or do you think it would have been a waste of money?  You probably can see why I said to wait and listen first before buying a subwoofer. OT:  Project Kit61 -- posted image.

Steven Kephart

Adire Audio

kfr01 
Posted: April 21, 2005 at 1:29 PM / IP Logged  

On the rap music subject - you are right, the bass can certainly get loud and vibrate the place.  I love it.  I think it sounds awesome - but it -does- sound just a bit "different" than boomy/dirty bass from many low/mid-fi/ home or car audio subwoofer systems.  Not bad, not less, just different - and in my opinion better.  I shouldn't have called it a negative... maybe rather "a potential negative for some listeners who expect more dirty boom."  Listeners in this could group can easily augment their system with a sub if they need more boom.  :-)

Like I said, the efficiency really doesn't bother me, it was just an observation that I really needed to twist the volume knob on that small/old sony much further than I ever have with the other few sets of speakers laying around the house to acheive the same room-filling sound.  Again, I probably shouldn't have said negative, because it was just an observation relative to other speaker sets I have.  Here again, "potential negative for some users" probably would have better described this observation. 

I most certainly do not need a subwoofer for music listening.  I love it!  They are every bit as capable of reproducing bass as either my 10" Polk subwoofer or my 10" MTX I have in various rooms in the house.  It would have been a waste of money to buy a subwoofer for stereo listening.  Only for HT use can I see wanting to add a sub (or upgrading to the 261's or LCR's for the fronts). 

Anyway, I couldn't be happier.  You were 100% right.  I don't need a sub and they sound fantastic! 

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic