icon

Pimp my ride? bad rep

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joebobcletusjr 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 1:39 PM / IP Logged  

It's kind of funny how heated things get whenever pimp my ride is brought up, it's like pimp my ride, "going mustang" and audiobahn are some of the most discussed topics here.

Anyway I didn't intend to get off topic with this, but PMR is doing one good thing by getting the car stereo industry to a whole new audience, however if we see a huge increase in irresponsible car stereo enthusiasts come out then we will suffer by new laws, or ordinances that will prevent us further from enjoying what we are passionate about.  They need to teach or at least mention "safe and legal or even considerate bumping" to these people that they install these "crazy loud systems" for (I quote that because they do sometimes take some very crappy subs and talk about them like their baskets are cast in gold).

I want a show that just focuses on techniques of good installers that are found all around the country, not those that are just putting an oxygen mask in a car because no one else has done it before.  We do all have to remember what gets ratings though, I am sure that a lot of people tune into that show to see what they are doing now.  I hate that show, but for some reason I still watch, so obviously they are doing something right somewhere, I am just not sure where.

eh? what did you just say?
Sweekster 
Silver - Posts: 481
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
Lzzum98, I try to look at it from all angles. I'm not a pro installer but I do see the ridiculousness of it. I agree with KFR01 in that it brings more attention to the car audio world (which is good). The bad part is it makes people think the impractical (for example: a make up sink as a center console) is practical. I love custom cars and what WCC is about but they are doing a bit much for TV. Anyone else ever notice that they completely filling these people's cars with all of this equipment and not leaving a spare tire? I mean if this person can't afford the up keep of the car, do we really think they can afford AAA?
Duane...
If you think you're confused, imagine how you feel.   Pimp my ride? bad rep - Page 2 -- posted image.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2005 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
I think a good show should be like "rides" on the discovery channel I think. It should dedicate a whole hour on how a car comes in bone stock straight from the dealership and then show how it's transformed and the time consuming steps it takes.
Anyways "Rides" is that show. I wish I could catch it more.
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
sinistar 
Copper - Posts: 85
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 12:23 PM / IP Logged  

PMR will hopefully disappear next season, I can only hope. As said before, the things they do are ridiculous and not in a good way. A total waste of time I think on most of the installs. I also hate how they say "there's over 5000 Watts of power in this system" when they have a couple MTX amps that I know are 500W max.  I don't think there is much positive influence from the show at all.  You just end up with a bunch of people that think they know something about audio/video setups and what is good and bad quality setups. Most the speakers/amps they install are a dime a dozen. Like Audiobahn and others along the same lines. This is not quality stereo installation. Its eye candy and thats about it. 

as said before, I think it takes away from REAL custom installations that are thought out and use quality products that really throttle.  Like Eclipse, Diamond, Adire, RE, etc... you'll never see on the show because they wouldn't do a sponsorship. They get all the gear for free as long as they put the plug in for the manufacturer. I'm sure WCC can do actual good installations, but the show as a whole is garbage and cheesy as hell. I don't think their ideas for the most part are unique, more stupid than anything and not practical. I have watched Unique Whips as well and prefer it because it is a more realistic atmosphere but agree they need to focus more on the installs and showing the ins and outs after their done. Shows more of how busy and chaotic a shop gets when busy and the battles between employees which I can relate with in my environment.  Oh yeah, and Xzibit sucks all around, acting, rapping, whatever he sucks.

Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 04, 2005 at 11:18 PM / IP Logged  
i dunno, i think it's stupid, i mean.. haha, it's cool that people see it more, and it's almost like everyone now thinks they have to do something to their car, wich is fine by me, and the hair dryers or movie projectors,, things i wouldn't put in there if you paid me to have them.... just tasteless people,, i mean, have you seen the work on that show? they do a FG box, then staple vinyl to it, it looks like shhh, like everyone on there was plucked off the street and just shown a quick how to video... no one on that show knows shhh, but whatever, all the better when someone comes into a shop, and gets good PRACTICAL, custom set ups, why spend 20000 to microwave your sandwich on the road, when you can have a really cool ride instead?
Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
losone 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
They both suck, WCC has got to be one of the worst install shops thats blown up... and how many times can Unique install the same box & amp rack in a gm suv???  How bout spray painting the interior platic right on the car?  I really can't believe half the stuff I see on these shows. What a disgrace to the quality shops out there.
Javelin3o4 
Copper - Posts: 239
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 3:10 AM / IP Logged  

I like some of the stuff they fab up and just like to see all the crap they can cram into the car but some of the stuff is just stupid...here are a couple

1. Fireplace in the back of a blazer...(ok now where do i store my stuff)

2. TV under the car in the spare tire

3. TV is the door panels

4. Popcorn popper in center console

5. expresso machine in center console

6. ugly ass gold covertible roof

7. 3 flip down monitors w/ camera's for mirrors (either you are c**k eye'ed or a freek of nature with 3 sets of eyes)

8. bubble exhaust

9. pool table in the truck (yeah make the trick shot from inside the car through the back window)

10. TV's in the floor for the dogs

11. lotion dispenser in dash

12. sink in the center console...

just to name a few. The other thing that gets me is yeah all these cars look nice but drive like shhh, cause they still got that beat up 200K mile engine.

I personally like watching overhaul'n on Spike TV.

5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 10:51 AM / IP Logged  
Captanham wrote:
no one on that show knows shhh, but whatever,
My friend you can't be more wrong.
Captanham 
Silver - Posts: 365
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

how do you figure? anyone can order shhh off ebay and bolt it on at some weird angle, i've never seen anything on those shows that impresses me,,, probably the best guy on there is HEZ or whatever, that does the interior, he's the only HALF respectable guy in there,,,, they are all TASTELESS AND USELESS

and overhaulin kicks ASS

Bad Boys Customs
    audio - video - security
If you use it. Suport it. Donate to the 12 volt!
5150azn 
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2005 at 1:17 PM / IP Logged  
Dude WCC wouldn't be where they are if they didn't know anything. If you've ever talked to any of them you know these guys are very knowlegable. When first moving to southern cal I heard alot about Mike from WCC and how he "knew everything". Believe me this guy is amazing. He can do everything.(and every so often he shows he can on a little known show called Pimp My Ride)
Thats the point I think you guys are missing. Anyone can install. I'm sure I could teach my mom how to. But how will your work stand out from the rest? Fishman brought us the gold fish and the water falls. Mike brought the karaoke machine, movie projector, popcorn machine, a sink, hot tub, drum set.
If you've worked on projects of PMR's scale then you know that it takes planning and know how to pull it off. And the guys at WCC pull it off week after week(not to mention they do things that have never been done before). For that I think they might maybe deserve some credit huh?
And you can't just judge them by their work on PMR. They've been around before all these hoopties. If you've seen they're work on Shaq's cars you'll know what I'm talking about.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic