icon

wiring Alpine 3527 bridgeable amp

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
merkurmaniac 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 7:30 AM / IP Logged  

I am wiring up my Alpine 3527 amplifier.  It can be run as a 4 channel or two channel amp.  I want to use it to power a subwoofer that I bought from a 1999 Range Rover.  THe sub has 2 Harmon Kardon speakers in it, that look to be 6.5".  I checked the speakers with a VOM and they are 2.9 ohms each.  They have some pretty hefty magnets and really puny factory wiring to them, maybe 18 or 20 guage. 

THe amp is one that I have left over from 1995 or so.  It has a wiring listing on the back (dunno where the manual is) of it that says that channels 1/2 and 3/4 are bridgeable.  Does this mean (not clear from wording on amp) that I should physically splice the speaker output wires from 1 and 2 together to literally combine them, or do I just use channel 1 assuming that the amp would automatically combine the power internally ?  ANything odd about these speakers that I should know about.  I am bypassing the stock amplifier (its about the size of a block of cream cheese.)

Soory for the lame beginner question.

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 9:47 AM / IP Logged  

First of all, your guess that channels 1 and 2 are bridgable ( as are 3 and 4) is correct.  It MUST be 1&2, 3&4, a + from one to the - on the other (the amp should be marked which to use or it is in your owner's manual.)  Secondly, most multi-channel amps are only stable for a minimum 4-ohm load on each set of two channels bridged (2-ohms per channel.)  Check the specs on your amp before you wire it to those speakers, sounds like their impedence is too low.  And thirdly, most OEM speakers are rated for relatively low amplifier power.  I seem to recall the subs in the Harmon/Kardon-Infinity-JBL systems use 35 watt amps.  So your Alpine may be way too much for them to handle.  You may be very disapointed at your results, up to and including simply blowing the subs away.

Support the12volt.com
merkurmaniac 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2005 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the help.  I think that I will just use two of the four channels, unbridged to drive the two subwoofer speakers.  I don't usually crank it too much anyways. 

Thanks again,

RIchard

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic