icon

AVIC D1 in 2004 tahoe installed

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
arekD 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2005 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  

I just did it,  is all installed & working thanks to this forum I found the answer to vss wire location.AVIC D1 in 2004 tahoe installed -- posted image.. it fits perfect. The only time consuming part was to fabricate side brackets to fit to factory bolts/screws attatchement. I used one Simpson tie for 2x8 purchased at Home Depot to make 'L" brackets matching the brackets in the factory radio. Drilled holes in them and used little longer screws then those that came with avic to attach brackets to avic d1  and cut 3/8" off of the dash radio bracket in the very back becouse avic d1 is bit longer then delco factory radio. I installed avic with the bezel that came with it and put back dash/instrument cluster cover frame back. It looks like factory fit.

If anyone needs more detail help with this install, let me know

arek
captainduramax 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2005 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
I will be putting one of these in a crew cab chevy LT, with the buttons on the steering wheel, with the factory bose 6 disc indash... Has anyone had luck with the PAC Steering wheel interface or the onstar , Anyinformation on this whole instal would be very appreciated...
LADDCO
George32 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  

Arek,

I need help!

Where did you locate the vss on your tahoe?  I'm installing a AVIC-D1 and I'm not sure where to tap in.  Also, where did you find the parking brake lead?

I'm using the Soundgate REMPIOGM and Digistar-x  components to maintain GM functions (steering wheel controls, Onstar, chimes, etc.).   Did you use these or similar units?

Thanks,

George
arekD 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 06, 2005 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  

Details how I installed AVIC-d1 in my 2004 Tahoe. Hope that helps, Arek

- first put the shifter all the way down to to 1st gear to get it out of the way. (turn the ignition key on to be able to shift).

- pull on the instrument/ dash bezel frame, you may start on the upper corner  Rt. of the radio above the air vent. Dont use any tools just pul with your fingers it only snaps in place. Next pull above instrument cluster and all around. Wiggle it around the shifter and set aside.
- now you can see the (3) screws holding the radio. Unscrew and pull radio out.

- dont cut the existing connector instead order from Crutchfield.com GM Class II Data Bus Interface made by METRA model GMRC-01 (for non onstar and non Bose systems) If you have onstar and Bose there is another Metra interface box that supports it. This will keep your chimes and power to the radio for 15 minutes after you remove your ignition keys, just like with the factory radio. It also cames with GM 10 pin to 24 pin harness w/stripped leads. the wires are color coded and mach colors on avic unit. It also comes with insructions. You can olso contact Metra 1-800-221-0932 or www.metraonline.com. I paid for it at crutchfield around $79

You will need antenna adepter. GM plug is smaller. Get the GM antenna adapter from any auto parts store, few bucks. (the antenna pulls straight out off of your factory radio).

- make brackets for new avic matching the ones on the sides of the factory radio. I used Simson ties from home depot for the 2x6. I cut two pieces ou of one tie & drilled holes in one side to mount to side of avic and the other to match the existing holes in the dash. Just eyeball it to the same location like in factory radio. The black side brackets on avic will not be used, screw your brackets to the same holes after removing the black ones. You need to find bit longer screws the simson tie is thiker. Also avic is longer 3/8" so file or shave off some of that black plastic dash bracket on the back of the radio to push the avic all the way in. Done for the installation.

Now wirering: all according to instruction that came with Metra (power, speackers etc.)

The VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) GREEN / WHITE at the instrument cluster connector. Remove screws and pull the instr. cluster off. disconnect the connector on the back of it. Just pinch and pull. Look at the sides of that connector small letters on the sides on plastic. Look for side A wire pin 4. There is about three GREEN/ wites make shure is on side A of the connector not B. Pick yours from the list below

pin:

A1: Brown /White- MIL Control

A2: Not used

A3: BLACK/ White - Low Washer Fluid Control

A4: Dark GREEN/ Wite VSS wire

A5: White - Tach  

A6: Gray - IPC Class 2 Serial Data.

- the brake wire tap to the one next to parking  brake foot pedal, is only one Light Blue connected there.

-Wire for backup camera I just removed the tail light and tapped to the hot one at the light bulb when on reverse. Run the wire under the plastic trim on the right side floor, just snaps out. You can extend the wire if is too short. 

That is it. Remember to press reset button on avic and drive for about 5-10 minutes for avics systems to initialise. After that the error msg. that your brake wire is not installed properly will not display anymore. Good luck. Arek

P.S  I just installed XM tuner with NAV Trffic is working great

arek
Customautomotiv 
Copper - Posts: 128
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2005 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  
If your vehicle has onstar...u can use the GREEN / WHITE wire on the small molex plug on the back of the radio also.
DanDan 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 2:23 PM / IP Logged  
Also, the back up wire is light green and can be found easily at the BCM which is under the steering column. It is the small connector closest to the radio. No need to run a wire all the way to the rear of the vehicle. The radio brackets do need to be fabricated. Metra makes them also. And I do not recommend using the vss at the radio. It has some sort of filtering done to it and will not work properly with the nav. My experience thats all. Use the one behind the instrument cluster. It is easily accessed.
DanDan
honda4x4nut 
Member - Posts: 30
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  
Do you have any pics you can post? I may be willing to scrap my factory touchscreen nav in the Escalade for that, if it looks good in the dash. I had an N1 in my old silverado but i didnt like the flip out action. THANKS
Black 04 Cadillac Escalade EXT- 13 INCH suspension LIFT,37"nitto mud grapplers,22"MC2 Cadillac wheels, 05 touch screen Nav system, backup cam, Headrest and visor monitors and video input on nav system
arekD 
Member spacespace
Posted: July 09, 2005 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  

One picture of AVIC-D1 in 2004 Tahoe

AVIC D1 in 2004 tahoe installed -- posted image.

arek
caldash 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
Use the Metra 99-2003 and the installation is a snap. The kit is made for two single din units stacked with a small plastic bar across the middle. Remove the bar and the AVIC-D1 fits perfectly.
Caldash
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
caldash wrote:
Use the Metra 99-2003 and the installation is a snap. The kit is made for two single din units stacked with a small plastic bar across the middle. Remove the bar and the AVIC-D1 fits perfectly.
OR just use the ISO Brackets and no need for the bulck of the kit.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic