icon

Spark Plug Noise through radio

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Xcitr 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  

I've now replaced the HU ground - direct to firewall, tried a new antenna, and even tried "shielding" the wiring harness to the HU with some shielding material. Still no better results. The noise I'm getting is definitely a buzzing, and varies in strength with the engine's RPM's.

As for the capacitor on the coil... can anyone explain this for me? How do I do it, and where can I get the supplies. Also, are the "noise suppressors" for antennas and HU's power lead (sold through Crutchfield and the likes) worth the money? Anyone tried them? 

DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2005 at 9:31 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry that didn't work, but it's still a good idea.  There are several noise filter selections HERE that you could try, including a dedicated antenna noise filter about 1/2 the way down the page.  Also make sure you are using "suppression" type spark plug cables.  Some high-preformance spark plug wires or coils can make radio noise problems impossible to find.  Good luck.
Support the12volt.com
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 10:19 AM / IP Logged  

you'll notice a fair bit of signal loss using an antenna filter (50-100 miles less range) and unfortunately i dont think it will correct this problem....

i'm curious where you tried a new antenna? plugged directly into the CDM (tuner logic box)?  as an AC Delco Radio Centre whose territory covers an area larger than the state of Texas, we see a lot of these vehicles with that exact same problem (static on radio ( most noticeable on AM) with the engine running, static stops as you turn off the ignition, also poor signal once out of town and on the highway)......and the fix is almost always to replace the antenna and lead in cable... ....did you plug a new good antenna into the tuner box and make sure it is grounded properly?  i would be quite surprised if the problem you are experiencing was not an antenna problem.....   but hey, what do i know.......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Xcitr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 22, 2005 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  

hi, kgerry....

I had taken the truck back to the installer, who in turn, said he had tried a new antenna. I'm not sure of his process or methods, but supposedly he had tried a new antenna. Guess it's one of those things I'll have to try myself to know for sure.

Xcitr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 8:27 AM / IP Logged  
OK, Installed a new antenna, base unit, ant. cable and also an antenna noise supressor this weekend. I now receive about 10 more stations on AM band than I did previously, but everything below the 1400 band is still horrible affected by engine noise - no louder, no quieter than before. All that I know of to try next is a noise supressor on the lead power line, and a "cap" on the coil. Can anyone be a little more specific about the coil "capacitor"? Where can I get one, how do I install it, etc? Thanks.
joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 4:14 PM / IP Logged  
also try a 20 uf supressor if you can on the coil
Xcitr 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2005 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

joe_1 wrote:
also try a 20 uf supressor if you can on the coil

Where do I get such a supressor, and how to install it?

joe_1 
Silver - Posts: 286
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
you should beable to get it from a car spares place as this one i have seen is a standard part on a car it is not aftermarket it goes from the wire that operates the coil not the ignition live but the pulse one that turns it off on for sparking and then ground it, it should come with instructions if not that is how it is done.
tcss 
Silver - Posts: 1,623
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 28, 2005 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
You didn't mention if you tried the resistor plug, suppresser wire fix that DYohn suggested. That's where I always look first especially with mid 90s GM trucks.
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic