icon

Remote Start not working in Cold Weather

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
-board 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

I installed an Autopage RST-2053AL in my girlfriend's 1996 Plymouth Breeze 2.0L 4Cyl about 2 years ago. I did not opt to hook up the tach wire when I first installed it since it was warm outside and the default settings (voltage start, 0.6 sec crank time) worked perfectly. That winter, the unit would not start the car when it got cold out (Whats the point of remote start when it doesn't work in the cold?Remote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image.). When the start button was pressed: The parking lights would flash,the doors would lock, the ignition would turn on, and the starter would make a short grunt then stop. Nothing happened after: no fault codes, it appeared as if the module thought the engine was running. Right away I suspected that the crank time could be increased. I increased it a little at a time all the way up to its maximum (3 sec). This had absolutely no effect on the crank time, not even a longer grunt from the starterRemote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image.. Next I decided to hook up the tach wire and try the "RPM Start" mode. When I press the remote start button in this mode I get a single flash from the parking lights ("Diagnostic Parking Lights" section of manual indicates that "1 Flash ---- RPM fail") then nothing, no ignition, no door lock, no start attemptRemote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image.. I hooked up the green tach wire of the alarm module to the black with grey stripe at the coil pack. Is there something I am overlooking?? Is there a tach programming mode for this module to learn the tach signal?? Winter is here again and I would really like to get this thing working before my girlfriend looses all faith in my abilities and dumps meRemote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image..

Oh, and another thing. She claims that the cruise control only works intermittently since I installed the alarmRemote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image.. I thought it might have something to do with the brake switch wire to the alarm. I unhooked the wire and the cruise control still only worked intermittently. Could this have anything to do with the remote start problem??

I am out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.Remote Start not working in Cold Weather -- posted image.

cpgoose 
Gold - Posts: 1,098
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  
hi.  small suggestion....you might have to do the "learn routine" when you hook up the tach.  In other words, some remote starters have to be "taught".  Do your directions say anything about this?  I know on mine....you start the car with the key, and then hold down the valet button until the LED lights up.....then it's done and it's be taught.
-board 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2002 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the reply, but It didn't work.  I tried holding down the valet button but nothing happened.  Niether the Install Manual nor the Operation Manual say anything about learning the tach signal.  The only adjustment listed for RPM start is 75% / 90% /110% RPM Value.  Percent of what value Im not sure, but I have tried all 3.  I measured the tach signal and at idle (about 750 RPM) my DMM measured about 14 VDC, 5.5 VAC, @300 HZ.  The VAC and HZ increase with the RPM.  Seems to me like this would be a good tach signal (although its only 2 cylinders - one side of the coil pack).  Any other suggestions?

-board 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 7:38 AM / IP Logged  
Can anyone tell me how Autopage units "learn" their tach signal?  Does the hood need to be open?  I can't seem to get this thing to work in "RPM sense" mode.
skerr 
Copper - Posts: 52
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  

Check the output voltage of the crank wire during a remote start.

Does it have voltage for a second, minute, hour, day, week?

Also check the input voltage of the alarm during a remote start.

Does it have voltage for a second, minute, hour, day, week? Does the voltage drop during a remote start? Have you checked and rechecked all the connections? Did you solder the connection or use crimps?

Shawn
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:03 AM / IP Logged  
With regards to the cruise not working.  I had a 98 Dodge Neon that the cruise did not work at all after I put in my remote starter.  I ended up istalling a switch on my ground wire form the unit so I could turn it off when I neede to.  Then a year later I had a problem with 3 anti-grind relays I installed on 3 different cars in the same weekend.  I had to cut out all three of them and the problem went away.  So this ade me think this could be the problem with my own car. So I cut out the anti-grind relay and it fixed the problem.  It also fixed the check engine light which came on all the time at random times.  It is just a thought, and you probably dont want to cut yours out since it is your starter kill relay.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer
-board 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
{!-- ZoneLabs Popup Blocking Insertion --}Thanks,  I do not have the starter kill relay installed.  I will try adding a switch to cut the ground to the alarm unit when the cruise control starts acting up.  I was thinking maybe the BCM is getting some feedback through the door lock / unlock wires.  I did not install relays with these, I simply put diodes in line with the two different resistors for lock / unlock.  Could this be the problem or am I way off?  Where else could the cruise control problem be coming from??{SCRIPT}window.open=NS_ActualOpen;orig_onload = window.onload;orig_onunload = window.onunload;window.onload = noopen_load;window.onunload = noopen_unload;{/SCRIPT}
jrilla 
Gold - Posts: 1,498
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 26, 2002 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  
After you install that switch under your dash, make sure that your cruise works all the time, I really cant say what would cause it to work intermittently.  I think it is easier to pinpoint the problem when it does not work at all.  That way you can run your own tests and narrow the problem down to a particular wire.  In my case it was the tests that told me it was my ground wire, which really didnt narrow down the problem, but did give that temporary fix. I know you dont have a starter kill relay, but what happend with mine was that the relay stayed on all the time instead of shutting off like it should when the brake is depressed, except when I used the key to start the car.  Really wierd.  Sorry I can thelp more.
J Rilla
Owner/Installer

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic