the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com - Free Technical Information for Mobile Electronics Installers, Enthusiasts, and Do-It-Yourselfers since 1999 Ohm's Law - It Rules!
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com - Free Technical Information for Mobile Electronics Installers
BasicsCar AudioCar SecurityCruise ControlsDiodesDoor LocksOhm's LawPassive CrossoversRelaysResistorsSubwoofer Enclosures Search
Application GuideCalculators, Charts, DiagramsDownloads/ManualsFind InstallersForumsGlossarySubwoofer WiringToolsVehicle Wiring Recent Topics
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
  the12volt.com spacer

the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
Diodes
Glossary of Terms
Ohm's Law
Relays
Resistors
Tools and Equipment
Wire Sizes
Introduction
Parallel & Series Calcs
Passive Crossovers
Port Length Calculators
Subwoofer Box Calculators
Subwoofer Enclosure Types
Subwoofer Wiring Wizard
Thiele - Small Parameters
Miscellaneous
Relay Diagrams
Vehicle Wiring Database
Introduction
Alarm Accessories
Alarm Modules
Alarm Sensors
Basic Connections
Illuminated Entry
Light Flash
Power Door Locks
Starter Interrupts
Installation Pictorials
Relay Diagrams
Vehicle Wiring Database
Introduction
Electrical Connections
Mechanical Connections
Servo Settings
VSS and Tach Info
Vehicle Wiring Databse
All Forums
Buy & Sell Equipment
Car Audio
Car Audio Hot Topics
Car Security & Convenience
Car Security Hot Topics
Car Security Pictorials
Cellular & Communications
Cruise Controls
Employment
Fiberglass & Fabrication
General Discussion
Lights, Neon, LEDs, HIDs
Marine Electronics
Miscellaneous
Mobile Video & Navigation
Motorcycle Electronics
Music, Favorite Songs
Relays
Rides & Systems Gallery
Vehicle Information
Recent Forum Topics
Forum Help & How To
Forum & Site Notices
Books & DVDs
Calculators
Charts
Diagrams
Downloads - Manuals
Find an Installer
Forums - Q&A
Glossary of Terms
Insurance for Car Stereos
Links
Mobile Tech News
Relay Diagrams
The Application Guide
Vehicle Wiring Database
About the12volt
Support Us
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer

the12volt.com spacer

the12volt's install bay
Mobile Electronics Forums

Welcome Guest :)
Display List of Forum MembersMember List  Forum SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
Custom Search
the12volt`s installbay - Mobile Electronics Forums the12volt's install bay / Car Audio

Subject Topic: JL Audio Amp 300/4 500/1 Tuning Help (Topic Closed Topic Closed)

Post ReplyPost New Topic
the12volt's install bay
Author
Message      << Prev Topic  |  Next Topic >>
panerailover
Copper
Copper
spacespace

Posted: July 14, 2005 at 4:45 PM - IP Logged  

Guys,

Need help. I finally got my system installed by a shop that competes in SQ Nationals. I heard his car and it was definetly the best SQ car I ever heard. Before I decided to go with this shop I did some research. I did not want to change head unit and keep my head unit stock. I have 01 Lexus GS430. They used AudioControl LC6 line converter with my stock unit. I will eventually put Eclipse Double Den in there with Navigation. But for now I wanted the best possible sound I can get with stock unit and speakers that I bought very cheap. I have Infinity Kappa components front and Kappa coax rear, 1cubic foot box with 12" Infinity Perfect VQ dual coil sub hanging sealed under rear deck shooting through the stock sub whole to the cabin. And 2 JL Audio Amps powering all this 300/4 for speakers and 500/1 for the sub. Over all sound quality is very good and better then I though it will sound, SQ is deffinitly there. Mids and highs are very good and sweet. The shop did Dynamat in the doors and custom speaker MDF enclosures in the doors and Dynamat in the rear deck. These amps have a lot of dip switches and tuning you can do. I know the shop does not sell these amps and wanted to make sure it is tuned to the best it could sound. The only thing I am a little concerned about is the the bass. The bass is tight and precise but not as impactful as I though 500 watt RMS would sound. If I put a Rap song with a lot of bass my woofer starts to break up at high volume and does not look like it it handles 450 watt rms per the specs!!! Does anyone know how to tune this correct. Ican take pics of the setup I have and the back of the amps how they are tuned. The way it is wired per the what the tech in the shop told me is 4 ohm load from the speaker to the 500/1 JL Amp so it is correct. I still have only about 2 hours of play time on this new set up and speakers. So may be they need to break in. I really need some help of someone look at my set up and tell me if the shop did correct tuning on this. The install is very clean otherwise and the shop is well respected. Please help. I am willing to take pics for some one tell me if it is correct. Thank you guys..

Not a member?
Register

Already a member?
Sign In  
tcss
Silver
Silver
spacespace

Posted: July 14, 2005 at 5:45 PM - IP Logged  

Go to JLs web sight and click tutorials. Then click on amp set up, it will do a much better job of showing you how to tune these amps then I could on this board. Also I never like firing a woofer thru a rear deck, this usually works best with free air woofers, I would have the sub in the trunk firing toward the rear.
Back to Top Search for other posts by tcss
sedate
Silver
Silver
spacespace

United States
Posted: July 15, 2005 at 9:55 PM - IP Logged  

Dlomonosov:

Good evening.

Nice car. Very nice car.

Hmm. I'd recommend you not mess around with those JL Amps to much unless you read those tutorials *very* carefully and spend a good couple of days making sure you know what all that stuff does..
I kid you not I owned a 500/1 and up until the time it got stolen I STILL didn't know what some of those knobs do!   Really amazing amps eh?

If it would make you feel better, post back with a shot of both amps settings and we'll take gander.. but remember, we cannot HEAR the system, only take wild guesses at how it looks. We really aren't in a position to authoritatively diagnose soemthing in that manner eh?

You're Infinity Kappa should NOT be able to take that amp. It's a little big for that sub. The JL 500/1 puts about 800watts into a reactive load.. meaning your Kappa is being overran by a solid 300-350 watts. This isn't a bad thing per se, just that if you start to hear it distort, either back the gain off a notch, or just back the volume off.

The way you describe your installer AND your install, I bectcha the shop tuned it great... you should have mild distortion at full volume, it doesn't mean your system isn't tuned right, just that your best tuning is prolly backed off a bit from the maximum volume position eh?

A single 12' is a single 12'.. even a Kappa Perfect. if you are having output issues, like tcss say, drop that guy firing rear-ward.. or.. better yet...give him a friend. A JL Audio 500/1 would run the crap out of two of those eh?
Copper
Copper
spacespace

Posted: July 16, 2005 at 12:51 PM - IP Logged  

sedate,

thanks for taking your time and reply to this thread, I will post a pic up if I can of my set up and the way it is tuned now

Gold
Gold
spacespace

Posted: July 16, 2005 at 4:35 PM - IP Logged  

Here is an explanation of all the controls on the 500/1 amp. http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/pdfs/500_1.pdf

This is a really good tutorial that explains the EQ on the 500/1 and 1000/1 amps.

http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/Parametric_EQ/Parametric_EQ.html

Can you look at your amp and post back what all of these controls are set at?

Back to Top Search for other posts by customsuburb
panerailover
Copper
Copper
spacespace

Posted: July 18, 2005 at 9:55 AM - IP Logged  

I uploaded pictures of my setup and you can see the tuning of it please check it out.

Thank you customsuburb, sedate.

http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/54780/cat/500/ppuser/36356

Gold
Gold
spacespace

Posted: July 18, 2005 at 11:51 AM - IP Logged  

Start off by turning your the bass boost (boost control on the 500/1) all the way to 0. Set your the crossovers on both amps to 80 hz as a starting point also. Try setting your gain control on both amps the way this tutorial describes. http://www.jlaudio.com/tutorials/Input_Sensitivity/Input_Sensitivity.html If possible, try turning your sub box so that the woofer is facing the rear of the car.
Back to Top Search for other posts by customsuburb

the12volt`s installbay - Mobile Electronics Forums the12volt's install bay / Car Audio

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version