icon

Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
AutoNavguy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: August 09, 2005 at 9:29 PM / IP Logged  

Hope this is OK to make a clean post of this, but alot of people are asking about this and the multi-page threads are not so clear.  It contains some updated information from the original rec.audio.car post, as well.

Below are instructions on how to bypass the lockouts on the Pioneer AVIC-N2 and AVIC-D1.  It is real simple, and does not require any complex switches or anything.  We figure these are service or testing modes, and were not intended to become public.  Our Pioneer guy claims to not know anything about it, but who knows, that may just be a line.

This bypass will do three things:

1. Makes all nav functions available while driving (just like they should be)
2. Make video playback available while driving
3. No more parking brake warning box!!!

AVIC-N2 lockout bypass:  Underneath the MAIN unit (not the hideaway) is a small silver sticker, peel this back.  There are two contacts with the label "R197".  Drop a bit of solder between these to connect them. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire.

AVIC-D1 lockout bypass:  Find an extra Pioneer wire harness, and pull one of the wires out.  Or, if you do not use the A.ANT lead, pull that out of the harness.  In the AVIC-D1 harness, there is one open spot on the connector (next to the ground wire). Put the wire into the open spot on the connector, connect the other side to ground, then re-connect the plug to the AVIC-D1. Also, you must ground the Parking Brake wire (or connect to a toggle switch if you feel the need).

Thats it, all there is to it, and all the lockouts are bypassed.  Easy, give it a try. 

useridzero 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 2:18 AM / IP Logged  

It worked!  And like a charm, too! Just tried it in my 05 Chevy Colorado, nice! Now if I could only figure out where to connect the speed signal lead. Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 -- posted image.

By the way, the AVIC-D1 fits perfectly into Colorado's and Canyon. If you have a factory Chevy XM receiver on your roof, you can gut the existing antenna and place the new smaller antenna’s within the plastic housing. Remount and run the wires back to the dash, looks totally factory.

12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 7:27 AM / IP Logged  
I am going to post this in both threads regarding this topic. Please keep in mind that the alledged bypass will void your warranty on the N2 if you try it. I am not confirming that it will work, but if you try it you have just voided your warranty. Pioneer is aware of this rumor and I am sure they will take steps to assure they are not taking returns that have been tampered with. Just food for thought.
useridzero 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 4:01 PM / IP Logged  

I'm not too worried. Pioneer’s support is a joke anyways. After my $1,500 Pioneer Elite THX home theater receiver locked-up after only 6 months of use, I called Pioneer support number for direction. Bottom line, they refused to help me because I didn't purchase the product from one of their "sponsored" retailers (such as Best Buy, Circuit City, Tweeter...) In short, if you buy Pioneer equipment over the internet, excluding Crutchfield's, there is no Pioneer warranty anyway. And this message came from two different Pioneer support reps. They also mentioned that Pioneer’s stance on this issue is in direct result of a growing grey market boom that plagues them. Maybe this constitutes the huge price difference between retail Pioneer goods and internet Pioneer goods. Not sure.

Anyhow, I appreciate the heads up. Thanks.

granpa yum 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 7:16 PM / IP Logged  

pioneers support is pretty awful, but thanks for the heads up anyway. i can confirm that this does work on the d1, and it works well. now we just need to figure out how to stop the "hey dont watch av and gps while youre driving!!" screens from coming up EVERY SINGLE TIME

dwhs 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: August 10, 2005 at 11:28 PM / IP Logged  

Worked great, I just connected the new wire and the power brake wire together and grounded them both.

Bypass lockout on AVIC-N2, AVIC-D1 -- posted image. Thanks,

algutkin 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

IF you do this, you are really looking for trouble. It doesn't work, it is a scam, probably invented by the Pioneer sabatage team. The more units you break, the more you have to buy.

Reason this out:

What kind of solder technique requires the dropping of solder on a printed circut board? If you want to experiment, take off the tape covering the 197 pins, what do you see? You see two pins with come dark stuff around them. Know what this dark stuff is? It is insulating wax. You drop hot solder on this and it will melt. If it melts, the solder won't stick. If the solder won't stick,then the solder will ball up and fall into the inside of the unit. If the loose solder falls to the inside of the unit it might short out something. If it shorts out something, the unit will be scrap.

To answer your silent question, how do I know? Answer: I know, because I was dumb enough to try this. I did the whole procedure which resulted in complete failure and the potential for permanently ruining my unit. Thank goodness and some extremely good luck, I was able to get out the solder and save the unit. I'm a bored electronic type guy with money to waste on this stuff, are you? If not, don't do it. It's really stupid and this type of stuff is not taught in electronic school, soldering 101.

If these pins were used for anything important, Pioneer would have  a fixture that plugs into the opeining underneath the silver tape and makes contact with the pins. Ask yourself why would Pioneer do this to bypass anything?  All they have to do is put the unit on a bench, short out the brake wire and they can run any simulation they want, the unit is not moving ,is it? Nothing is locked out. I suspect that pioneer uses these pins to flash an eprom that has nothing to do with bypass stuff. Perhaps they use these pins for a diagnostic bench test of the circuit. In any case, don't be stupid like me, think first.

algutkin

algutkin 
Member - Posts: 16
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 4:33 PM / IP Logged  

more BS that will help reason this out.

Years ago the rage was to hack Direct TV cards. Directv got smart and started to do thier own sabatage. They caused the hacked cards to crash, they raided the businesses that sold the hacking hardware, they posted crap on hacking web sites. One of the things they posted after they ran software to crash the hacked cards was a method to fix the cards. However once the cards were fixed by this method, they never could be used again.

Here is what the method was:

Use an exacto knife and scrape off the protective coating that covers the chip on the card. Expose some contacts and short out the chip. I was dumb enough to do this, along with many others. We all had to buy new Direct TV cards. The good thing was that the Direct TV cards were selling on Ebay for 20 bucks. Ask yourself ,how much does a new Pioneer Avic N2 cost? If you want to spend the $1200 plus for a new AViC N2, then by all means try  shorting the 197 pins, just don't tell your wife. I guarantee a wife will not understand, and it will just give them more ammunition to blast us dumb men.

algutkin

12v_rep 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
Pioneer sabatage team
LOL!!! I didn't know Pioneer employed such a team.
Majestyk 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2005 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  

OK does this really work or not? I can't wait to try but I don't want to screw anything up.

Thanks

Page of 28

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic