icon

temperature to work with fiberglass?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
skeptikal 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  

I am new to the forums but I've been lurking around here for a little while and finally decided to register ;P.

Anyways I have searched the forums and can't find what temperature i can and can't use fiberglass at. I am not new to car audio in any sense but I don't work on my car because the winters get damn cold here in northern indiana.

I have a garage that I can put space heaters in to work with the glass is that ok? Outside temperature will be like 0 degrees but the garage will be warm and when I go lay down the glass I will have to have the garage door open a bit. Will this be ok as long as I have a couple space heaters in there? Will teh glass set ok? Thanks in advance!

NuSonic Sounds
Brandon McGinnis
Your Source for Ology Audio
abovestock 
Copper - Posts: 247
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 2:54 PM / IP Logged  
The ideal temp. to work with the product will be on the back of the can. If not usually around 70* F. works quite well. BE CAREFULL with using space heaters around resin. Resin is full of solvents and could combust if your not carefull.temperature to work with fiberglass? -- posted image.
Why do you ask if I ate paint chips when I was younger?
skeptikal 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  

lol believe me the resin will be no where near the space heaters, i've set resin on fire before and that shhh burns like crazy. I mean it will be well ventilated I was just concerned about the outside temperature being really low. My garage would be ~50-60 degrees... is that ok for fiberglass?

I have also heard about UV hardeners.. How do these work?

NuSonic Sounds
Brandon McGinnis
customcarchris 
Copper - Posts: 95
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
I have laid fiberglass in like 40 degree weather before and well, it didn't set up that fast, but as soon as I heated it to around 65 - 70, it hardened better and solid. I don't think it would have hardened at 40, but it did not hurt it to lay it in that kind of temperature. So anything I think above 60 and it will be fine, but it might take a while!
Alpine Guy 
Platinum - Posts: 2,478
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 9:16 PM / IP Logged  

i have done fiberglass in -20 F , you just need to use a lot more hardener.  The colder or more damp is is, the more hardener you will need.  You will get the hang of it pretty quickly.

P.S. 0 degrees F is not DAMN cold., thats nice relaxing weather to go skiing in......come live here for a while, you'll learn what cold means.

2003 Chevy Avalanche,Eclipse CD7000,Morel Elate 5,Adire Extremis,Alpine PDX-4.150, 15" TC-3000, 2 Alpine PDX-1.1000, 470Amp HO Alt.
skeptikal 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2005 at 11:08 PM / IP Logged  

Lol man I don't think I could live in Canada. I'm a warm weather person and 0 degrees is freaking freezing!

But anyways thanks guys for the help.

NuSonic Sounds
Brandon McGinnis
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 05, 2005 at 2:52 PM / IP Logged  
dude i am in canada and i plan to glass all winter...i just finished my fiber glass top last nite...and it snowed this moring rofl...i love me heat gun :D
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
crxguy455 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 08, 2005 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

What's 0 F, like -17 C? pretty cold but u havent been locked outside your car in the middle of freaking nowhere 150km (guess that's 90 miles?) from any sort of city with nothing but a Tshirt on because your coat was in the car, waiting for a towtruck for nearly an hour in -30 C...frostbite to the max

blah
fr33w0rld 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 2:41 AM / IP Logged  
it goes down to -52 c were i am sometimes. were c  and  f match up  and its the same temp c  or  f  now thats cold.
HU Alpine CDA-9855 Amp MA Audio 802sx 4,400 RMS 1 ohm Sub 18" MA Audio RMS 5,000 @ 1.5 ohm Ported Box Car 99 civic Si
crxguy455 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2005 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
Yea well 4 or 5 winters back there was so much snow you couldnt see outside your house unless you had a twostory. No doors could open the city was dead for 2 days.
blah
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic