the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

What Is a Proper Sub Box?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  
Dynamatting a sub box on the inside might not do too much as the material itself is designed to add mass to keep it from resonating. As a box should be constructed properly with the appropriate pieces of wood and bracing, resonation should not be that big an issue. If you are talking about a sound absorbtion material like bassline panelling or Black Hole material, then yes you can add this to the inside of the sub box.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 21, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
I used brush on sound deadener on the inside of a fibreglass box and it seems to perform alittle better.  the bass response is much the same but it appears that the woffer cone dosnt extrude as much as it did when there was no sound deadening, i dont know why this is.
Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
sab0276 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 9:50 AM / IP Logged  
If a sub box has a range of sub enclosure sizes, is it better to build to the smaller size or larger size if possible?
For example, lets say a 12" sub has a recommended sealed enclosure size of 1.25ft3, but a range of 1.25ft3 - 1.5ft3. Would it be better to build the box closer to 1.5ft3 if you have the room?
TIA.
-Scott
2002 GMC Yukon SLT non-Bose
Pioneer AVIC N3
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:15 AM / IP Logged  
Generally speaking, the trend these days is to go as small as possible. Thus the manufacturer will list some box sizes that gives the lowest passable resluts for the smallest box. With a box that is too small, you have tight bass but little extension, with a box too large, you have lots of extension and no control.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
sab0276 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2006 at 11:26 AM / IP Logged  

Is there a page that explains those terms?  I have a general understanding of them, but not enough to understand the differences and impact of them. 

Thanks.

-Scott

2002 GMC Yukon SLT non-Bose
Pioneer AVIC N3
harobikes333 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2009 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
So forbidden, if my sub spec sheet calls for 1.5cf per chamber on a sealed application and says +- 10 % I can use a 2.7cf box if I have a dual 12" box?
I haven't been able to find a 3cf sealed dual 12" box.
ianarian 
Copper - Posts: 516
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 29, 2009 at 6:50 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet post. Concepts that matter.
This is what I do for FUN!
boxhead78 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 09, 2009 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
the proper box is a sealed box
boxead78
1967type-1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 11:38 PM / IP Logged  

Jason 358,

Dynamatting the inside of your box won't get rid of port noise.The box isn' causing the noise,the port is.

Make sure that your port is the correct size,and you could try a different shaped port.

Some suppliers sell flared ports that are surposed to help reduce port noise.

Also don't forget that the port is how your box is tuned,as I understand it until you start playing at the resonant frequency the port is actually making the bass.

(o\_|_/o)
67 Volkswagen Type-1 {Beetle}
Alpine CDA-7995
AudioControlEpicenter,ESP, EQL,2XS,Alpine 2 MRV-1000,MRV-F-400,Alpine R-10 Element Triple Enclosure,R-8,Kicker MB-100,2 Alpine 6.5 compoment
1967type-1 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2009 at 11:43 PM / IP Logged  

sab0276,

A smaller box will allow you to handle more power,but it doesn't reproduce  really low bass.On the other hand,a larger box will play lower bass,but doesn't handle as much power.That is using the same woofer in both size enclosures..

(o\_|_/o)
67 Volkswagen Type-1 {Beetle}
Alpine CDA-7995
AudioControlEpicenter,ESP, EQL,2XS,Alpine 2 MRV-1000,MRV-F-400,Alpine R-10 Element Triple Enclosure,R-8,Kicker MB-100,2 Alpine 6.5 compoment
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic