icon

Running One VC on a DVC Sub

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
basshead77 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2012 at 1:00 PM / IP Logged  

Hello All....I have a Question for all you Pros out there. Can I wire my JL Audio W710 3ohm SVC 750W rms sub with my Memphis Audio C3-12in 4ohm DVC 600W rms sub??? They are each in there own seperate enclosures(2 boxes) I want to hook them to my Kenwood KW-910D Mono Block Amp. Rated at 500W rms @ 4ohm or 900W rms @ 2ohm. Are they compatable together? How should I wire them? Thanks a ton!Running One VC on a DVC Sub - Page 15 -- posted image.

basshead77
glh1 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: October 31, 2012 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  
That amp isn't really powerful enough for either sub to be powered properly and you will probably end up sending a clipped signal to them with it, not to mention have phasing issues and freqeuncy cancellation.
glh
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 31, 2012 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
The only SAFE way to wire those drivers on that amp is to wire the coils of the dvc driver in series, then parallel the 2 drivers at the amp.
1lowgalant 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 11, 2013 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  
WOW!! almost 7 years later and my topic is still an important piece of information!! i'll have to say, this topic showed me that no matter how much you think you know, you're never too old to learn something new. it's the people like stevdart, DYohn, Steven Kephart, and especially haemphyst that make this site such a valuable tool to anyone. if not for them, i may never have understood the technical aspects of the subject in question. Dan Wiggins' papers are a must read!! huge thanks to you guys and everyone else that makes this site what it is!! Running One VC on a DVC Sub - Page 15 -- posted image.
Whatever you do, DO NOT let the white smoke leak out of the wires.....
warped82 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 17, 2013 at 11:07 PM / IP Logged  
Hello. I have read this entire post from top, to bottom. It seems to have a lot of good information, yet I'm still confused on the best configuration for my amp and subs.
Amp has a
Maximum Power Output 2 x 1000W
Bridgeable RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 1x2000W
2 Ohm Stable
I have a single 15 inch sub with Dual 4 ohm Impedance 3600 Watt Peak Power.
After reading this forum, I'm even more confused than when I started on how to wire it to get the most power.   I intended on wiring both voice coils in parallel, giving the sub a 2 OHM load to the amp. I don't think this is a good idea now. Would It be best to bridge the amp and wire the subs for an 8 OHM load ? Or should I just wire a single voice coil to get the full 2000 watts out of the amp? Or How about a channel to each coil? I have read every way mentioned, I was just curious as to what you suggest as the safest most efficient way to wire this combination thanks.
drbizerk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2013 at 1:16 AM / IP Logged  
wire your sub @ 8 ohms and bridging it at the amp will bring it to 4 ohms
warped82 
Member spacespace
Posted: February 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM / IP Logged  
drbizerk wrote:
wire your sub @ 8 ohms and bridging it at the amp will bring it to 4 ohms
I'm a noob when it comes to hooking things up right. I had several DIY systems in my teens. They all actually sounded pretty good, never mind the fact that I payed little or no attention at all to the OHMs, if I recall all the subs I owned previously were single voice coil, and probably 8 ohms.   I am a little confused as to what you are saying. Are you saying bridging the amp and wiring the subs at 8 ohms will carry a 4 ohm load to the subs?   I was under the impression that if I wired the subs at 8 ohms the amp would carry an 8 ohm load and I would lose some power, which is why I would assume any one would even suggest only using one voice coil, to match the amps 4 ohm load when it is bridged at maximum power. This would allow the amp to push all 2000 watts of its max power. My speaker is rated to handle 3600 watts. Would you be getting the most power out of your amp using only one voice coil ?   From what I have read if the speakers are wired at 8 OHM this decreases the amps peak power handling.( 2000 watts @ 4 OHM ) any way to figure out the wattage at 8 ohm ?) Is there that much of a difference ?    Sorry for all the questions, its just that I have seen a lot of difference in opinion in this thread, and i'm just trying to get the most out of my amp and speaker.
drbizerk 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2013 at 1:09 PM / IP Logged  

any time you BRIDGE an amp your ohm load at your speaker wires will be divided in half. Hope this helps

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
drbizerk wrote:

any time you BRIDGE an amp your ohm load at your speaker wires will be divided in half. Hope this helps

This is why the phrase "ohm load" is SO incorrect!!! The number of ohms is halved, true, but when the number of ohms is halved, that's TWICE THE LOAD, not half!! It can't be both. It's ohms or load, but not "ohm load". Ohms is impedance. Impedance is the load. "Ohm load" is like SQL... it doesn't exist.
What you SHOULD say is this:
any time you BRIDGE an amp your ohms at your speaker wires will be divided in half, which is effectively a doubling of the load. Hope this helps
Even though TECHNICALLY this isn't really correct, either... While the ohms presented by the loudspeaker connected to the terminals never changes, the load the amplifier channels experience is doubled, due to the power supply rails being connected across the load for twice the voltage... Twice the voltage will generate twice the current, thus, four times the power. The "twice the current" caveat here is what makes the amplifier think it is connected to a lower impedance than it actually is.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
Warped:
You will always have 8 ohms. The impedance of the woofers are not carried. It only tells you what the electrical resistance of that driver is. That number is also *always* whatever the impedance of the woofer is. Impedance is a dynamic number, stated as ohms, with the nominal impedance of a given driver the stated number - i.e. 8-ohms, or 4-ohms. The amplifier creates power, it doesn't "handle" power. Drivers "handle" power. The amount of power an amplifier can create is determined by the load attached to the terminals. If an amplifier is stated at 1000W at 4-ohms, then you can generally safely say that at 8-ohms it will make about half that amount, possibly a little more.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 16

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic