Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: April 29, 2006 at 1:42 PM / IP Logged  

i guess thats y its cheap.... $100.00

hang time mazda 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2006 at 11:16 PM / IP Logged  

i just read the info posted and it was very interesting. i have been out of car audio for many years and i am getting ready to do an install in one of my trucks. i just bought 4 pioneer ts-1041d's and was wondering if the amp i have would work and how well and how i should wire the subs to it. the amp i have is an old orion concept 97 3 special edition.

any help would be great, thanks

blk04civiclx 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: May 05, 2006 at 4:00 PM / IP Logged  
Hello guys, this was an interesting read. But I still am unclear on how to do the calculations..  How to Choose an Amplifier. - Page 3 -- posted image.  Lets see, I have a Kenwood 9152d amp which is equipped with 2X30amp fuses and it is said to put out 500rms@4ohms and 900rms@2ohms&1ohm.  Is this possible?  Or are they just overrating the amp..  It does push my cvr12's at a 4ohm load pretty well.. but i want it louder..
m.
et3rnal 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 6:21 PM / IP Logged  

hey i just learned alot from reading this lol.. so im just goin to ask.... I just recently bought 2 audiobahn 1206t flame Q's.. and i need an amp around $200 that will put  ( what u think will be ) more then enough power to make these sound good. i was thinkin about goin with a cheap high wattage amp.. but then relized i was a nub and should be lookin at other things then just straight power.. so can someone help me find an amp for a good price that has good quality and power for these subs?

pyro_527 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: May 07, 2006 at 11:52 PM / IP Logged  
I read through all 3 pages of this thread and I have a question.  Why would you run an amp at 8 ohms or greater impedence when you can get so much more out of it running at 4,2 or 1 ohm (provided amp is capable of running 1 ohm stable).  Higher impedence = less power out...
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come to you quicker....
gamfreak 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: May 08, 2006 at 3:29 AM / IP Logged  
Ok i new here wat is the bes t signal to noise ratio for a mid range ,mid bass , high frequency amplifier
O and Just to let you guys know Awesome job on the site you guys are the best How to Choose an Amplifier. - Page 3 -- posted image.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 13, 2006 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
pyro_527 wrote:
I read through all 3 pages of this thread and I have a question.  Why would you run an amp at 8 ohms or greater impedence when you can get so much more out of it running at 4,2 or 1 ohm (provided amp is capable of running 1 ohm stable).  Higher impedence = less power out...
Distortion is lower, efficiency is higher, damping is higher, less heat... All good things in life.
Why would anyone insist on running an amplifier at it's rated load or even above?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
epcenter5hz 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 11:25 PM / IP Logged  
This question is mainly to “Haemphyst”
Ignore this post if this sound like a rhetorical question… just wanted to know your options on this amp. I have a Hifonics Gen XI colossus & the maximum rms rangs is about 3,000 watts 2ohms mono or 1500x2 @ 1 ohm stereo. How credible do u this amp is since it’s a maxxsonics version… I got a chance to get an reply from “Stephen Mantz” himself… & he more or less said that it’s not as good as the Gen XIII or lower colossus
. specs state it will draw about 420 amps @ 3000watts rms???
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

gamfreak wrote:
Ok i new here wat is the bes t signal to noise ratio for a mid range ,mid bass , high frequency amplifier

The higher the better.  The best I've seen is 114db S/N.

Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
IMO, the HiFonics stuff was only ever medium range gear, and always overrated a bit, and I would agree, that their "ratings" have become a bit more... "optimistic"... as the company aged and re-organized. The fuses say yes, but I'd still be a bit wary of that spec...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic