icon

How to Choose an Amplifier.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bmann_420 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: May 28, 2006 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
If you got 2 DVC's that are 4 ohms, you want a 2 channel 1000 watt amp, or an amp like Say JL that can run at 1 ohm.  Cause thte way you wire up your subs is going to be either a 4 ohm load or a 1ohm load.  So a 2 channel will bridge it, or a 1 ohm stable amp will just work regular.  But if you have 2 600 watt subs, you need a min of 1000 amps. (its is good to have 1200 also, but 1000 will d, especially if its actually more, like with Rockford Fosgate's "Birth Certificates".  They are always rated lower than what you get.   You almost need aut gage cable (0 gauge) and a cap and a seperate battery.  An upgraaded alternator would help also, so you dont wind up on the side of the road with a burnt out alternator.
adrian12 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: July 07, 2006 at 3:21 AM / IP Logged  
good1
you can learn something new everyday
dakkh 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: July 10, 2006 at 11:20 PM / IP Logged  
I got a Alpine Type R 10" woofer in a sealed box. I run it with a Pioneer GMT-510 Amp, the model number may be not right as its different in walmart in canada. Anyways, it moves this dam speaker pretty good. Sometimes it cuts out when i got the bass turned high, but then i just turn it down. So far so good. BTW it has a whoppin 760 watts printed on the outside of it, its got two 20 amp fuse in it, total of 40 amps there. Its putting approximately 380 watts to my sub if i am running 14 + volts which is pretty good but may not be true watts, that type r in case you dont know is rated for up to 500 watts, so the amp is less than the speaker but it still holds its own. CIAO DUDE
dkh
Tnilli 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i didnt want to start a new thread cause i figure someone in here can help. My friend just bought a KAPPA PERFECT10DVQ
10" Die-cast subwoofer
And i'm tryign to help him find an amp to run it. I really am still confused between all the 2 ohm and 4 ohm stuff. He listens to rock music, (korn, slipknot, metallica, etc.) and i cant figure out what amp he'll need for that sub. Its specs are...
Specifications
Power Handling, RMS:400 Watts
Power Handling, Peak:1600 Watts
Sensitivity: 90dB
Frequency Response (±3dB): 25Hz - 400Hz
Mounting Depth: 6-1/2"
Impedance: 2 or 8 Ohms depending on wiring
So i found 3 amps that i think might work...but i dont know depending on 2 ohms or 4 ohms. InfinityREF611A, Alpine MRP-M650, and Alpine MRP-M450. It's not for sound competitions or anything to that nature, and its only 1 10''. Its just for that tight bass needed in rock music. Thanks for your help!
anmclark23 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 25, 2006 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  

I think you should always consider budget first in this situation. This is definitely a category worth putting money into. A high quality amplifier will definitely make a statement when combined with a reasonable set of speakers. However, the longevity of the system must be considered in most cases where budget is an issue.

Otherwise, we're talking amplifiers. This means that a variety of other considerations for your scenario must be made.

cva me 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2006 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst,
Thank you for your post it had a lot of valuable info. Unfortunatly im one of those "old school's" trying to get back into it. There have been many changes since my time. I learned alot from your article but still have a question. I have two 4ohm 8" fosgate p2 subs 2oowatts rms each, with a fosgate punch p325.2 amp @ 325watts rms bridged at 4ohms. I am not looking to win any competitions or anything, sound is good. Is my amp too small at this wattage for these subs?
Thank you
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 11:55 AM / IP Logged  
Well, since with (2) 4 ohm woofers, there is no way for you to get 4 ohms, you may be a bit "underpowered"... You can run 4 ohms per channel, or bridged into 8 ohms (which, as far as the amp is concerned, is the same as 4 ohms per channel). If you're worried about giving them all they are rated for, then you have two options: You can get a larger stereo amp (200-250 watts per channel at 4 ohms), to run in stereo mode at 4 ohms, or a 400-500 watt monoblock, stable at 2 ohms... Either of these are viable options for you, but that 325 bridged at 4 ohms will give you less than 100 watts per woofer, either bridged into 8 ohms, or stereo at 4 ohms.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cva me 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  
haemphyst,
Wow things have changed since the 80's. I had a punch45 with two punch 10's, bridge the amp and it would flip a cassette tape on the roof, back in the day. Now its so confusing. So you recommend me gettin a bigger amp? (Im partial to fosgate so ill stick to them) I'll need at least 400 to 500 watts to get what im looking for right? I have 30 days to return my p325.2 amp to upgrade, would a mono amp be more advisable. Let me ask you this then...as a rule of thumb i need to get an amp at least the same rms wattage of all my subs added together? I am considering upgrading to two 10's with rms of 200rms each also, so get nothing less than a 400 watt amp right? What ohm subs is advisable then?
Thanks
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 10, 2006 at 10:56 PM / IP Logged  
I'd recommend a mono amp, around 400 to 500 watts. If you can return that amp, do so... It's not gonna be big enough.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
cva me 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  
Does it matter what ohm subs i get then when i do get 10's? Is 4 or 8 better than the other?
Thanks
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic