icon

Capacitor

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dkeshish 
Copper - Posts: 92
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 1:33 AM / IP Logged  
Hello, I am going to insall a  2 farad cap and when I opened the box that it came in I noticed a transistor or something in a bad. Dont know what it is. do I use this? it looks like a resistor or something that goes on a circuit board. also does a cap have to be installed vertically or can be install horizontally on lets say a flat floor? instead of a wall....
dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 1:34 AM / IP Logged  
bag not bad. sorry
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 2:06 AM / IP Logged  
A cap can be installed in any position.  Use the resistor and the accompanying instructions.  The charge is controlled by resistance so that you don't get ZAPPED!
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Jweb 
Member - Posts: 49
Member spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
In case you didn't get it yet,  the resistor is to charge the cap just before you power everything up. I found that a lamp works better. You have to discharge it also when you take it out of the circuit.  It should have come with instructions...
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 11:17 AM / IP Logged  
If your going to use the resistor method be warned the resistor will get hot, don't want you to get burnedCapacitor -- posted image..
dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 19, 2006 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  

A cap can be installed in any position.  Use the resistor and the accompanying instructions.  The charge is controlled by resistance so that you don't get ZAPPED!

hi thank you for the response! quick question if you dont mind,.the booklet i have has ridiculous in that it doesnt give any details or explanation on anything. i got the 2 farad poweracoustik digital power cap. From what i understand I wire from battery to distribution block. I have a block that 1 in 4 out. each one of those outs has a fuse obviously. ok so from what I can guage is wire from battery to block. correct? digital cap wire to block ( 1 of the outs) 1 amp to block (1 of the outs) and 1 amp to block (1 of the outs) correct? the book says no fuses should be insyalled in the wire between the power cap and the amplifier system... dont all distribution blocks have fuses? so what if I have more than one amp for the cap? I have to trust 1 fuse for all items?

and in regards to this resistor. How do you install it? doesnt say. in the whats included in this package it says display power kondensator which i assume is the capacitor, mounting brackets owners manual and a set of tools in polybag which is where that resistor is. i hope it is a resistor. its like a long needle looking thind with a blueish thing in the middle.... 

dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 12:57 AM / IP Logged  
i think I have a.d.d. or something here is the simple way of asking my last question. from everything I am reading it says not to put a fuse in between the cap and amps. So I run a wire from the battery to a distribution block. That block has 3 in holes for up to 0 gauge wire. and has 4 out holes up to 2 guage wire. So I run the wire from battery to in hole on block. I run a wire from cap to one of the in holes on the block. here is where it gets confusing. the outs are for the amps. but the instructions say no fuses between the cap and the amps...  all power distribution blocks have fuses..... is this some conspiracy loop to confuse me? lol
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

Install the cap directly next to the subwoofer amp.  Use a short length of power wire from cap to amp.  Unfuse the distro in that wire path.  If more than one amp is used for subs, for instance two, then place the cap directly next to both amps.  Run both power wires out of distro together to cap, then split to amps using short lengths.  Unfuse the distro block in those two wire paths.  Since there is no protective fuse in these situations between the distro and the amps, install the distro directly in front of the cap.  There will be just a short length of wire between each component and they must not snake into hidden areas, remaining entirely visible.  This will get your cap installed according to the instructions.

For more info on installing caps, charging and wiring, here's a forum search on the subject:

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
dkeshish 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 20, 2006 at 8:14 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you all I think I got it! I basically need the cap for the Subs amp instead of the 4 channel speakers amp. i was hoping to use it for both might just use it for the Subs one. So last question on this topic. Does the Cap stay on even when the car is off? does it draw power? there is no Remote wire on the cap. one positive terminal and one negative......
Drewt 
Copper - Posts: 183
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 21, 2006 at 12:08 AM / IP Logged  
Having the cap is gonna help both amps regardless of where it's placed. The cap is a passive device, it dosen't have any circuits in it (unless you have one with a voltmeter or something like that) that you can turn off. The ones with voltmeters usually turn off the display if the voltage stays constant for a few mins. The amount of current the voltmeter and display would draw is so small it would take forever to drain your battery - sorda like having your cell phone charger pluged in with the car off - just dosen't matter.
As far as a fuse - put a fuse anywhere you have wiring going to a smaller gauge or comming from a power source (a cap isn't a power source - only battery or alternator)
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic