icon

what size capacitor?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dragon51 
Copper - Posts: 283
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 3:51 AM / IP Logged  
This question should really be pined and hi-lighted as often as it come up.
stormraider04 
Copper - Posts: 91
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:10 PM / IP Logged  
ok i found out i have a 100amp alternator in my truck right now. adding my 1400 watts in my amplifiers about how big should i go for the alternator? or will i need one?
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 6:28 PM / IP Logged  
What kind of amp do you have? 1400 watts peak? rms?
stormraider04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 22, 2006 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
two arc audio amps. the KAR 400.4 and the KAR 1000.V1.  the specs say  4x100 watts rms for the 400.4 and 1x1000 watts rms for the 1000.v1. The 400.4 has one 40A fuse the 1000.V1 has three 40A fuses. i dont know if that makes a differnce or not. im not to knowledgeable on this subject.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  
If it was my truck I would be looking in the 160-200 amp range. The max draw on your stereo can in theroy reach 160 but real world use will put it at less than that so once you add in the vehicle itself you should be fine
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
stormraider04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 7:20 PM / IP Logged  
well my mistake i listened to a guy from kragen who told me my stock alternator is 100amps. i called ford today and i actually have a 115 amp alternator. if i dont get a bigger alternator or a cap will i be fine or will i burn something up? the car audio store i was planning on getting all my stuff from said to just get a 5 farad cap. what do you guys think? i sorta need to know soon because i plan on buying the stuff in a coupel of days. thanks
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ofcourse the audio store is going to say that. They will say anything to get you to spend more money. They will tell you that your speakers will give you a BJ if you spend n extra $300 to get the better ones. lol. If I were you I would get the idea of the cap out of your head and stick with the alternator idea.
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 23, 2006 at 10:25 PM / IP Logged  

You can't possibly burn anything up unless you employ an improper method of installation.  That is, if you use a tiny little power wire with no protective fuse and try to pull too many amps (amplifier needs) through it.  In that scenario, the wire would get hot enough to burn.  But the amplifiers can only pull as much amperage as the alternator and battery will supply.  Nothing will burn up if the alt can't supply as much as the amplifiers pull.  Instead, the amps will get less than they want from the alternator and will pull power, in addition, from any car source that has power available (battery).  The battery will be tapped, even if for the short duration that it is capable until it is dead, of supplying the extra demand that the alternator can't supply.  While that happens, you will see the symptoms of a robbed power supply while driving the car...particularly at night when the headlights demand a load.  Thus, the dilemna of the dimming headlights.

Now, as I said, the amplifier will try to pull a given amount of amperage from the car's resources.  If it doesn't get what it demands, will it fry?  No.  Instead, it will put out less power than expected.  That's about all that will happen with the amplifier, but in the meantime the battery is being drained and the headlights can't get their share of power.  See how it works?

The cap is just that...a cap.  Like when you say "Put a cap on it, it's done".  Which means, a cap is of no value unless all else has been looked after first.  Its value at this ultimate point is still questionable in that, theoretically, it may provide some cleansing to the power supply voltage.  But you would have to be way up on noticing minute details in the sound to know if that cleansing effect is taking place.  Bottom line, save your money for more crucial elements than a stiffening capacitor.  If you ever get your system to the level where a cap can be of value, you won't be asking questions about it on a forum.  You will be instructing on how to set up a first-class sound system.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
stormraider04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
ok good info stevdart. thanks alot guys. but one more thing. with the 1400 watts should i upgrade from my stock 115 amp alternator to a bigger one? and what brand alternator is good?
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 24, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Upgrade you alterantor, ohio is 1 brand you can look at there are quite a few brands out there now. Whichever one you choose make sure it comes with a warranty. Get a 160 amp at a bare minimum. Get a load test done  on your current battery, its free at most parts stores. Replace battery if necessary. This will ensure that its up the task. I sell caps but I think I am the only one around here who tells the customer the truth in the fact they are mainly for looks not function.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic