icon

Torque converter lock-up circuit

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
peter_mcewan 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2006 at 7:05 PM / IP Logged  

I have a GM TH 350 auto transmission with a locking torque converter.  Somebody wired a nice latching relay to the momentary switch on the gear lever to turn in on and off.  Trouble is, one has to remember to switch it off when you stop or the car stalls.  Easy to fix with a SPDT relay from the brake switch but, of course, if you take your foot off the brake, the thing locks up and the car stalls...  I need a circuit whereby when the brake is applied, power is off UNTIL it is manually switched on again - can anyone suggest a circuit or a type or relay that will do this?

Thanks, Peter McEwan

p
doibuy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  

You can get a latching relay and trigger it off of the brake switch.  You would then have to put some type of switch to flip the relay back to normal position.  I don't know if this helps, I'm not to familiar with your application so sorry I can't be more specific.

peter_mcewan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2006 at 8:48 AM / IP Logged  

I thought of this but then the brake would turn the locking mechanism on and off.  So, if I were to apply the brake to stop the vehicle then, for some reason, release the brake and apply it again, the torque converter would lock up again, even if the vehicle is at a stop.  Ideally, I need one relay that would only initiate the lock, such as from a push button, and one that would only switch it off but not be able to re-iniate the circuit - sort of like a cruise control.  The crux of the thing is to find a way wherby the brake switch can break the circuit to the torque converter and it stays off when the signal from the brake switch goes off again and the locking sequence has to be reinitiated separately.

thanks

P
p
cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 4:09 PM / IP Logged  

Might have a solution for ya.  You'll need 3 relays and a push button momentary switch.  I'm going to run under the impression that the torque convertor takes a positive signal to lockup.  I have to put it together and test it, I'll post it up if it work when I get home tonite.

Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
Hoptup32 
Copper - Posts: 87
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 8:35 PM / IP Logged  

Here's a diagram that should work.  The relay on the right supplies the power to lock up the converter.  When the momentary switch is pressed, it activates the relay on the right, which sends power to the torque converter and to the relay on the left, which latches the relay on the right, until the brake is applied.

The drawback to this two relay setup is, the only way to unlock the converter is by applying the brake.  Once the brake has been applied, you have to press the momentary switch again to re-activate the relay latch to lock the torque converter up again.  If you want to be able to press the momentary switch to deactivate the latch, it would require adding more relays for this feature.

Torque converter lock-up circuit -- posted image.

cntrylvr79 
Silver - Posts: 582
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2006 at 9:01 PM / IP Logged  
And I get beat to the punch.  Oh well.   The only down side is while the switch is pushed, about half the required current to drive the torque convertor is flowing through the switch.
Cause I'm So white and nerdy...
First Class Certi-fried installer
peter_mcewan 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 06, 2006 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  

Thanks, guys - I'll try it.

P

p

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic