the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

How to Wire Through a Door Molex.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  
Kevin, that is a good point that I did not bring up in the original post, thank you for adding it in. In this vehicle the extra holes were indeed factory drilled all the way through. All that was left in the hole was the plastic retainer clip that would hold in the factory wire pin. In this case at least, this vehicles molex was not a waterproof seal as all of the other unused holes were open from side to side. As Kevin correctly points out, we all should be aware of what sits on the vehicle side of the molex and pay attention to keeping it dry.  I think it is a great idea to incorporate a little silicone in the backside and frontside of the molex once it is back together and the new wires are tied down so as not to move (and spread the siliconce all over). The intergrity of the molex is going to change from vehicle to vehicle, in this case, the molex was not waterproof, the black rubber boot was the sole moisture barrier. Kevin, or anyone else, if you come across a molex that is of a waterproof design, do post the pictures up here for us to see.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden...  If those were your hands, then all I have to say is that you should be a hand model How to Wire Through a Door Molex. - Page 2 -- posted image..  In all seriousness though...  That is a great thread and thanks for the insight.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
forbidden 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

If you look close on my left hand you can see the scar from a 2 shaft radio that had a incident with my left hand 20 years ago. My hands have taken beating and will take some more. When I had my fingerprints taken earlier this year for my police application,  the guard that took them says "wow, your fingers have been beat to crap, what do you do for a living". He had never in his years seen a set of fingerprints that looked so much like a battleground.

My hand won the incident with the 2 shaft radio. How to Wire Through a Door Molex. - Page 2 -- posted image.

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
I remember you saying I think in the Misc Forum, you were going to do a molex door HowTo, glad to see it is done and finished.  I did not know the G35/350Z were at risk, my brother has an 04' 350Z  I will pass this info along to him.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
gus1 
Gold - Posts: 1,013
Gold spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
The other, really pimp way to do this if you have access to a pretty vast terminal selection is to actually repin the factory connector.
We try to keep a few terminals in stock at all times for the newer Hondas such as the Ridgeline, Accord, and Odessy, along with the new VW stuff and the Dodges(truck rears). Only takes a couple seconds tocrimp,insert, done. And, you don't need to worry about a body shop cutting your wiring if they need to take the door off.
Just another perspective....
Gus
Wherever I go, that is where I end up......
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 02, 2006 at 10:31 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, speaking of door molex's, how bout for the Kia Amanti? I Had a 2004 in last winter for a rs keyless and to grab the lock wires u had to get through the molex. took me and another installer about 2 hours just to get access to the molex and then get the wires in. Ne tips for that car?
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
defjammer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 9:46 AM / IP Logged  
OK, what's the secret?  How... for the love of god... do you get the rubber boot back on the molex?
forbidden 
Posted: August 11, 2006 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
You put the boot back on before you push the molex back in the hole.....
defjammer 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: August 13, 2006 at 12:59 AM / IP Logged  
Now why didn't I think of that, lol.  Thank you.
jason777 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 7:40 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I'm screwed now. I pulled off the rubber boot in between the door to expose the wiring that goes into that molex plug. There are 2 tabs on each side of the connector. You push in both tabs to unplug it.
I didnt realize that it was such a tight space in there. I can push in the one tab with a flathead...but there is no way to get an angle to push in the other tab. The only way to get this rubber boot back on is to get this disconnected. I'm screwed cause now I cant shut my door. This is a 2003 Tiburon. Please help!
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic