icon

How to Wire Through a Door Molex.

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
hintzyboy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2010 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I wanted to thank forbidden for this post. I had been following the install guide by VaBoom (member of Cardomain, Mazda3forums, Caraudio.com, etc), but ran into some issues with the speaker wires. He ran a passive component set, and just tapped into the factory wires behind the headunit. Since I'm running an active setup, I was a little stumped as to how I would run the wires.
I do have one question though, if anyone can help. I have the Molex connector pulled out of the door jamb, but I was wondering if there is any special method to disconnecting the two halves. I don't want to just go yanking on things and mess something up. I've already got that blue lever thing swung back, but the thing still isn't coming apart with gentle pressure.
hintzyboy 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2010 at 3:38 AM / IP Logged  
well I got the connector apart. The drivers side cables were just so short, I had a hard time getting the connector at the right angle to let the two pieces slide apart.
To forbidden, one more question. I've got the speaker wires run through the molex connectors now, but I'm having trouble routing the cables into the cabin on the passenger side. How did you manage this? I've shoved every inch of me I can inside the footwell to get a better angle, and fished a snake tool everywhere I can think, but have come up empty. I'll try hitting up the Mazda3Forums for answers too, but I figured you might be able to offer some insight, since you've done this the same exact way on the same car.
TIA
calijtee1 
Copper - Posts: 121
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
beautiful work!  newer cars cant just be drilled and left looking all crappy, by drilling i think you take more time...lol...great post!
installers do it best. we got the magic hands!
jrock4207 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: February 22, 2011 at 7:52 AM / IP Logged  
Cudos on the write up! Wouldnt have done it any better myself. I myself own a Mazda 3 and its good to see people doing proper work instead of slop jobs like that one pic you posted!!!
highbird 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2011 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  
This has been insanely helpful! I did the non-drill method but I'm having trouble fitting it back into place. I'm doing this in a 2008 Mazda 3 and using a 16 gauge wire.
gandalf91 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2011 at 6:09 PM / IP Logged  
Wow...I'll have to keep this in mind next time. I have a Mazda vehicle as well, and I actually went through the painstaking work of fishing my speaker wires through the molex. Took about 15-20 minutes each door. What fun that was. :|
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 22, 2011 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
I am down but not out you guys.... I have had a career change after over 20 years of car audio. I still am around from time to time. It is good to hear that my sticky has aided so many people.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
gd2go 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: May 09, 2012 at 7:11 PM / IP Logged  
Great post. I'm a newbie & my problem is there is only one empty spot on the plug unless of course I can removethe door speaker pins, unnfortunateley i havent figured how to do it. Does anyone know how u can remove the pins in them type plugs. Plz & thx
Dave Rose
flynntech 
Copper - Posts: 275
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 01, 2013 at 9:24 PM / IP Logged  
Most pins come out the same way. If you don't have a pin removal tool, it is possible you could cheat it out with a very small screwdriver or X-acto blade.
The side where the male and female pins meet is where you would be accessing the release tab(s) from.
You could always tear them out and drill, but then you would have ruined the factory pins which you may want to re-use sometime.
Page of 4

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic