icon

best enclosure positioning for a sedan

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
slwsl 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  

I have gone round and round with various people on this topic. I have been told that in a sedan, these are the best ways to position a sub enclosure from different people.

1 position the sub or subs firing to the back of the cars trunk, 1/2 to a foot away from the face of the trunk.

2 position the sub or subs in the side pockets of the trunk. positioning them in various configurements.

3 position the sub or subs firing into the cabin of the car. Totaly seal the sub or subs off from the trunk compartment so If I was in the car with the windows rold up and I poped the trunk the bass response won't decrease it will stay the same.

Now here is my delema, I have one diamond audio mk6 sub1,000 watts dual 4ohm  that requires a vented enclosure tuned at 40hz.. I listen to all different kinds of music and I know that the way that you positon the enclosure and make it , effects the way its going to sound ex. sealed enclosure = tight bass etc. etc.....If I build the enclosure to the specs that I need, and fire the sub into the cabin of the car as listed above will this give me the best sound?

I have had a sealed enclosure in a sedan with two 12's in it firing as I stated in ex, 1 above. I positoned them firing into the cabin of the car first, but did not like the bass response coming from them. Was this because I did not seal them off from the rear trunk compartment?

If anyone can help me with my dilema and my mindless rambling, it would be apreciated.

Aruman 
Silver - Posts: 363
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
check this link, it can help you out.
Shaking The Neighborhood
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

The above is a good read...

...but instead of going around and around in theory, test your enclosure in real life.  Try it in different positions.  It seems to me that the best sound quality comes with a mostly empty trunk to work with and the sub facing toward open space away from the cabin.  I recently went on a car trip and filled the trunk to capacity.  My sub fires from the side of the trunk (Taurus) toward the center, or opposing side...and quite close to the back seat rather than toward the car's rear.  It sounds very clean and loud when the trunk is mostly empty.  But when the trunk was full, the sound was absolutely crappy.  It was loud, but SQ fell out the door.

The trunk is vented to the cabin via an opening that I made through the parcel shelf.

You want to build your box so that the port and driver both fire into the same airspace.  If you can design it so that it can be repositioned one way or another, that's a benefit.  You'll be able to pick the placement that sounds best from the driver's seat.  Some sub/box/car combos even sound best with the face of the box slightly uptilted. 

Here's an idea on box design that would allow you to anchor it into a tilt position if that works out best.  And if it sounds better firing straight out, that also can be done:

best enclosure positioning for a sedan -- posted image.

best enclosure positioning for a sedan -- posted image.

PS Answers to the two questions:  No, and no.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
slwsl 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 7:51 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the info. Any more would be a great help!!! I know that this is going to make me sound really dumb but, I still can't belive that facing the sub/ subs into the trunk is actuallly giving out more spl than firing them into the cabin of the car and sealing them off from the trunk. Here is my stupid logic. in theroy, if I was to fire the sub into the cabin of the car and seal the trunk off from the cabin the spl would fire directly on to the front window with barely anything in its way. Rather than, firing the sub into the trunk and having it deflect off of the rear trunk face and then enter the cabin of the car. I know, I know, I saw the test results but I still can't belive it! In short, isn't  louder to yell at someone directly, than yell at them with your back turned?
slwsl 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 7:56 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry forgot to add this also, When people build compotion cars trucks etc. they buld a wall of subs firing directly at the front window. if the read on the top is true, why dont they turn the subs around? I am not doughting anywone, it's just not clicking.
slwsl 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 8:29 AM / IP Logged  
Sub and port firing directly into the car, trunk totaly sealed from the rest of the car. sorry please be patient with me!best enclosure positioning for a sedan -- posted image.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic