icon

custom headlight covers

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
satfrk32 
Copper - Posts: 61
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  

Sorry I know this isn't fiberglassing, but does revolve painting.

I have headlight covers for my car. They have a carbon fiber look to them, with 3 clear circles for light to shine through. Everything is made out of plastic. My question is, I'm painting the headlight covers to match the exterior paint of my car but obviously not painting over the 3 clear plastic holes. However...I know that probably within a month paint that is around the outside of the holes will start peeling off from wind / particles. Is it possible to paint around the clear spots and then clearcoat the entire headlight cover including right over the clear sections?

cheers!
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 17, 2006 at 2:15 PM / IP Logged  
In a sense, anything is possible, from what it sounds like, all you will need to really pay attention to is how you masking off the section you don't want paint on.
You have a digital camera lying around? Take a few photos, put them up here, then I will better understand why you are trying to do.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 8:03 AM / IP Logged  

Here you go, you can see I masked off 2 circles already with masking tape (so when I sand paper the plastic for the primer it won't ruin the tape). The middle circle isn't masked off yet.

custom headlight covers -- posted image.

cheers!
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 10:29 AM / IP Logged  
Looks like you are good to go. The paint will be fine as long as you use the right primer for it.
Like Velocity said...
Velocity Motors wrote:
JUst make sure that you use the proper products to do the job. Many people do not know that they are suppose to use a plastic preping solvent before primer and also to use a flexible primer and paint on the plastic parts ( plastic does flex ). Allowing the proper cure time also will help with the longevity of the finish.
... Taken from Big interior problems
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2006 at 11:56 AM / IP Logged  

Thank you for the help.

cheers!
philliphamby 
Member - Posts: 18
Member spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2006 at 1:30 AM / IP Logged  
depending on what kinda plastic it is made out of some clear plastics (like headlights) you can clear and it will not turn white. i have used clear in like say neon headlight to make them clear again when thay turn white from fade. also if you clear over the the hole thang after paint you wont have the paint lines. it will all be smooth. what i would do is mask off a small section that you will paint and clear it to see if it will turn white. if it does then it wont matter becouse it will be covered with paint.
give a man a fish he will eat for a day. teach a man to fish he will eat for a lifetime.
satfrk32 
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 12:41 PM / IP Logged  

Got the headlights done, just wanted to show the final product to you guys. Appreciate the help!

cheers!
Melted Fabric 
Silver spacespace
Posted: August 08, 2006 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
Nice results. That is a Saturn? Looks more aggressive. Good work guy.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic