Remote Start, 2001 Chevy Tahoe

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fortisi876 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 8:34 PM / IP Logged  

Hello!

I just bought a used Tahoe, I plan on installing a remote starter in the next week or two. Can someone point me in the right direction for the color codes for this vehicle?

Also, its been a few yrs since I installed one, my last one was a CS RS900VII that I liked a lot mostly due to its range. However, Ive been running a few searches here and havent seen anyone really recommend them so if you dont mind sharing whats the lastest best bang for your dollar these days???

Im even considering an add-on that lets me use the oem remotes since the range isnt too bad for a factory remote. Are add-on type RS's any easier to install?

TIA!

Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

Add on's are easy, they use the motor wires from the locks to activate. On your truck all three wires needed are in the fuse box amking it real easy. You'll need a bypass for the Passlock2. Get the tach from the back of the cluster, white wire., much easier than going to the ECM...

12volts red  +  ignition harness
Starter yellow  +  ignition harness
Second Starter N/A    
Ignition pink  +  ignition harness
Second Ignition white  +  ignition harness
Notes: To avoid the check engine light from coming on and possible damage to the automatic transmission, the second ignition in this vehicle MUST be powered when adding a remote start system.
Third Ignition N/A    
Accessory orange  +  ignition harness
Second Accessory brown  +  ignition harness
Keysense lt. green  -  ignition harness
Power Lock lt. blue  +  pin A4, brown plug at BCM
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is located behind the driver side of the dash. The plugs face towards the rear of the vehicle.
Power Unlock white  +  pin A3, brown plug at BCM
Notes: The BCM (Body Control Module) is located behind the driver side of the dash. The plugs face towards the rear of the vehicle.
Lock Motor gray  5wi driver kick, door harness
Unlock Motor tan  5wi driver kick, door harness
Parking Lights+ brown  +  pin B6, lt. blue plug at BCM
Parking Lights- white  -  pin A5, lt. blue plug at BCM
Hazards same as turn signals    
Turn Signal(L) lt. blue  +  steering column
Turn Signal(R) dk. blue  +  steering column
Reverse Light lt. green  +  inside rear view mirror
Door Trigger   -  BCM
Use tan for the driver door located in pin B4 of the purple plug, and the passenger doors are a blue/white in pin B11 of the lt. blue plug. Use both wires and diode isolate each.
Dome Supervision use door trigger    
Trunk/Hatch Pin pink/black  -  pin B10, lt. blue plug at BCM
Hood Pin N/A    
Trunk/Hatch Release N/A    
Power Sliding Door N/A    
Factory Alarm Arm arms on lock    
Factory Alarm Disarm lt. green  -  pin B3, purple plug at BCM
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm    
Tachometer white  ac  ECM
Notes: The ECM (Engine Control Module) is located near the battery, down low, between the fender and the fan under the black plastic cover. On the 4.3L, the tach wire is at pin 20 in the connector labeled red. On the 4.8L, 5.3L, and 6.0L, the tach wire is located at pin 10 in the red connector
Wait to start dk. blue  -  instrument cluster
Brake Wire white  +  brake pedal switch
Parking Brake GREEN / WHITE  -  parking brake switch
Horn Trigger black  -  pin A9, brown plug at BCM
Memory Seat 1 white  +  memory mod under dr seat
Memory Seat 2 purple  +  memory mod under dr seat
Memory Seat 3 N/A  +  
Remote Start, 2001 Chevy Tahoe -- posted image.
Interface Module:Category:
Immobilizer Bypass
Required:
Yes
Type:
Passlock II
Part #: 556LW

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 26, 2006 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Mike: A big thnx for getting this info to me faaassttt!

I have a question about the Paslock, Im unfamiliar with this unit......is there a chip in my ignition key (black handle)like my Ford Taurus has?

I ask only cuz my spare key is all metal, meaning no black plastic on the handle and it runs without any issues, is it possible its been disabled already?

Ive learned the car had an alarm system at some time in its life so I suppose its possible.

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 27, 2006 at 6:33 AM / IP Logged  
Your truck has GM's PasslockII system. They moved the 'chip' from the key into the ignition cylinder, allowing you to get a $2.00 key cut and still preventing hot-wiring of the vehicle. If the vehicle had an alarm only, then the passlock would not have been bypassed as bypassing the passlock is only necessary for remote starting.
You will need to bypass the passlock system for remote starting. I recommend a bypass like the one listed in the wiring chart. The one in the chart is the 556L from DEI, this unit relearns the required resistance code every time the key is used to start the vehicle.   The downside to the 556L is that you must cut the factory wire in the truck. Bypasskit.com offers a unit that will provide the correct information to the vehicle without requiring you to cut any of the factory wiring. Here is a link to their device.
Hope this helps.
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  

Im installing a UltraStart 1250, am I going to need to hook up a 451M?

Im asking only cuz I found it along with the 555L under my dash. Apparantly, the dope I bought the car from snatched his alarm system but left these other two units in place.

(I call him a dope only cuz between the bare wires and the lack of reattaching 2 other wires that needed attaching after ripping the alarm system out caused my starter to fry a few weeks ago. Remote Start, 2001 Chevy Tahoe -- posted image.)

CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:03 PM / IP Logged  
what year?
Cruisin Security And Sounds
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
sorry........2001
CruisinS&S 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:07 PM / IP Logged  
yes you should leave the 451m in there. The ultrastart does not have enough amperage to lock/unlock does on its own.
Cruisin Security And Sounds
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 3:17 PM / IP Logged  
Actually the ultra start only had negative outputs for door locks and the tahoe has positive trigger door locks ie requiring the 451 to convert polarity....
fortisi876 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 4:54 PM / IP Logged  

Thnx guys!

Im actually in the middle of the install as I type this and ran into some more unknown territory.

On the DEI 555L unit, the directions give an explanation of where each wire goes (6 of 8) except for two (blk/wh and violet) that aren't needed for my application.

However, in the wiring diagram they only show three hooked up:

blk/yell = r code output to BCM------yell = r code ignition switch side------black = ground reference wire

Does anyone know off the top of their head if the other three wires need to be connected?

TIA!

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic