icon

Trigger for fog lights

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
maxedoutmini 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
I have a 2007 ranger xl and have just installed fog lights. Now I am looking for a wire to trigger the relay. I am wondering in anyone knows what wire I could use from the head light switch. This would be ideal so when I turn the head light switch to on then they will come on and I don't have to forget to turn them off.
Or if anyone has any other suggestions that would be great. Thanks guys.
Landon
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 11, 2006 at 10:21 PM / IP Logged  
use the parking light wire, not too sure what color since it is a new vehicle, check in your manual for what fuse is for your parking lights and tap that wire to power the relay, and fuse between the tap and relay.
maxedoutmini 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2006 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
Update :
I now have a wire diagram for the 2007 ford ranger, my question now I want to use the park light or the head light wire but it seems to have a Negative polarity at the back of the headlight switch. how would I wire this to the relay I want to use to turn on the fog lights when I turn the headlight switch on.
Trigger for fog lights -- posted image.
mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 2:32 PM / IP Logged  
use the Parklights positive wire (PURPLE / White) at the light switch as your trigger.
Wire up your relay like so
85 fused to parklight wire
86 ground
30 to fused constant 12v+
87 to switch
switch should be 2 prong or 3 prong depending on if lighted or not, connect other prong to your fog light trigger, if lighted switch one will be a ground, look at the directions for the switch.
Now you have the ability to have the lights on legally with the parklights, and if you dont want them on flick off the switch and they are off.
Hope this helps.
mrdeep2001 
Member - Posts: 26
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2006 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
I am interested in doing this to my car as well.  I have the foglights installed already and hooked up to a switch in my car, but id prefer if they came on with my headlights. I am not too familiar with the electronic aspect of it. I'm pretty sure you need a relay... do they come in different sizes?
maxedoutmini 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 17, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  
This worked out great thanks for the help mustangfoo. You rock !!!!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic