icon

Programming ProStart remote

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
half-mad 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 11:57 AM / IP Logged  
I just had the Prostart remote car starter (last years model, with the fancy display on the remote) professionally installed. The service guy gave me the option of programming the door locks and trunk into the remote for an extra $75. I declined, stating that I should be able to do that myself. Maybe I should have chosen otherwise.
The remote does successfully start and stop the car. But I can't figure out how to program in the doors and trunk. The instructions give no directions on how to program in the door locks and trunk into the remote.
Also, in the instructions, it states to change the time, I need to press and hold the "F" (function) key until the remote beeps twice, then use other buttons to change values. It only beeps once, and I am not able to change the time or alarm time.
Would the installer have conviniently failed to install a wire for the doors and trunk, or is this just a programming issue? I doubt the function key problem would be related to a missing wire though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
half-mad 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 12:07 PM / IP Logged  
In case it helps, it's installed in a 98 Grand Prix.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 12:25 PM / IP Logged  
"I just had the Prostart remote car starter (last years model, with the fancy display on the remote) professionally installed. The service guy gave me the option of programming the door locks and trunk into the remote for an extra $75. I declined, stating that I should be able to do that myself. Maybe I should have chosen otherwise."
I am sure you will make better decesion from this point on. It's alot more that $75 worth of your inconvience if you try to do it yourself at this point.
"Would the installer have conviniently failed to install a wire for the doors and trunk, or is this just a programming issue? I doubt the function key problem would be related to a missing wire though."
If you declined the option, the connection will not be done. Period. Programming is only part of the solution to make the doorlock and trunk function work. If there are no connetion done it will never work regardless of the programming function.
Further more, depending on the installer, some will have these wire tape up or remove to advoid any shorting, while other will save the connection for future (change of mind) request. Expect to pay twice the amount this time around when you request for them.
Don't be surprise to be turn away from this kind of job from another installer. Not too many installer like to follow up with someone elses work unless the $$$$ justify the request, so you are better of to look for the guy who install it for you. Let me know if you want further details and explanation of the reasons why these jobs get turn away.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Programming ProStart remote - Last Post -- posted image.
thepencil 
Gold - Posts: 1,526
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
You may find this useful.
FYI - If you decide to try it out yourself.
DIRECTWIRE™ WIRING INFORMATION - PONTIAC / GRAND PRIX / 1998 / Remote Start
12volts red & RED / white   +   ignition harness
Starter yellow   +   ignition harness
Second Starter N/A       
Ignition pink   +   ignition harness
Second Ignition white   +   ignition harness
Third Ignition N/A       
Accessory orange   +   ignition harness
Second Accessory brown   +   ignition harness
Notes: Not required for remote start.
Keysense lt. green   -   ignition harness
Power Lock lt. blue   -   driver kick panel
Power Unlock white   -   driver kick panel
Lock Motor          
Unlock Motor          
Parking Lights+ brown      headlight switch
Parking Lights-          
Hazards          
Turn Signal(L)          
Turn Signal(R)          
Reverse Light          
Door Trigger tan & dk. blue   -     
Notes: The tan is located in the drivers kick and catches only the drivers door. The dark/blue is located in the passenger kick panel and catches all other doors, must diode isolate these wires.
Dome Supervision use door trigger       
Trunk/Hatch Pin RED / black   -   under rear deck
Hood Pin          
Trunk/Hatch Release BLACK/ white   +   trunk release switch
Notes: On vehicles with keyless entry, can also use brown (-) at the trunk release relay to the left of the steering column.
Power Sliding Door          
Factory Alarm Arm arms with lock   -   driver kick panel
Notes: The door trigger must be active to allow the factory alarm to arm.
Factory Alarm Disarm ORANGE / black   -   DKP 32 pin plug pin 5
Disarm No Unlock see factory alarm disarm       
Tachometer white   ac   pin 8, conn. 2 @ PCM
Notes: The PCM (Powertrain Control Module) is in the air cleaner assembly.
Wait to start          
Brake Wire white   +   brake pedal switch
Parking Brake          
Horn Trigger black   -   steering column
Memory Seat 1          
Memory Seat 2          
Memory Seat 3          
Interface Module: Category:
Immobilizer Bypass Required:
No Type:
N/A
Part #: N/A
Notes:
Smart Starter Kill Relays: Not Available

This wiring information is being provided free of charge on an "as is" basis, without any representation or warranty. It is your responsibility to verify any circuit before interfacing with it using a digital multimeter.
Directed Electronics assumes no responsibility with regards to the accuracy or currency of this information. Proper installation in every case is and remains the responsibility of the installer. DEI assumes no liability or responsibility resulting from improper installation, even in reliance upon this information.
Be careful whose advice you buy, but be patient with those who supply it.Programming ProStart remote - Last Post -- posted image.
half-mad 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2006 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  
I kept the manuals and such afterwards. There were two "extra" wires left over. I suppose I could take a look, and see if there are any blatently obvious places for them to go.
One of the wires has, what looks like, and antenna connector. Although, the antenna is connected. Perhaps in a week or two, I'll take it back to where it was installed. The guy did say the installation was guarenteed for life. He just gave me the option for "programming" the remote with the doors/trunk. He didn't say anything about also installing that feature.
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2006 at 8:45 PM / IP Logged  

The Prostart units from Canadian Tire do not need locks and trunk "programmed".  They only need to be wired.  Your car appears to have neg. locks and pos. trunk, going by the above post.  The locks will be a simple wire to wire connection, but for the trunk, you will need a relay to reverse polarity because Prostart doesn't have pos. trunk output.  If you know a little about soldering and testing for what wire you're looking for, this will take no time at all to accomplish. As for changing the clock and such on the remote, there is probably an extra sheet that was in the box with up to date instructions...I think it goes like this...press and hold F till remote beeps...press F again...press F one more time, and something like S3 displays on remote...now you can use the start button and trunk button to set time, and I think the F button goes to alarm clock setting, then on to remote start tune selection and so on.

Keith
half-mad 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 5:17 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for all the info!
I have decided to just leave the remote beside the bed, and just use it to start the car in the morning. I can keep the manufacturers remote for the doors.
But, now I've noticed a new problem. Since the Prostart was installed, I have had to get a jump start three times due to a dead battery (obviously). Would the dead battery be due to the installer being an idiot? Or, would it just be an old battery that needs to be replaced, and the extra drain from the prostart killed it? We have had the car since 2001, and the battery has not been replaced in that time. I would expect it's unlikely that the battery had been replaced in the three years prior to that either.
An odd thing, one of the times I needed a jump, I drove the car about 20km. Stopped at a gas station, and couldn't get it started again. The car was running for about a half hour before that (warm up and driving time).
john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 09, 2006 at 10:19 PM / IP Logged  
A draw test needs to be done on your car with a amp meter to determine if you have excessive draw or not.If there is a excessive draw start by dis-connecting components or fuses one at time until you have the proper reading.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic