2003 ford expedition rear dvd issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mdntblu 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2008 at 6:51 PM / IP Logged  
I have a problem I am trying to fix.
I have a 2003 Expedition with the sub and rear seat entertainment.
I replaced the head unit with a JVC KW-AVX810 and I bought 2 harnesses from crutchfield, one was to allow the sub to get power and hook up to the RCA Sub plug on the HU and the other was to retain the DVD player sound. The DVD player sound harness was a harness that I plugged in and it had 2 RCA jacks (R/L) and a red power lead to give the DVD player power.
So as it sits right now I have the following:
JVC KW-AVX810
Ford Rear DVD Player
Subwoofer
PAC Steering Wheel control (works fine)
IR Wireless Headphones
What I'm trying to do is get the wireless headphones to work. Before I changed out the HU you would press 2 & 4 on the HU to get them to be on and then you could choose a different source to be played on the front speakers. Basically if I put in a DVD in the back seat and set the JVC to AV-IN I hear the audio coming from all the speakers but the wireless headphones do not work.
This is what I would like to accomplish:
Get the wireless headphones to work which doesn't make sense because the DVD player playing and you would think the IR's would be sending the signal.
Also --
The rear DVD player has an Aux input (Video/Right/Left) and was wondering if it's possible to come out of the HU video out, and tap into the DVD player on the roof AUX video in so I could play a DVD up front and have it show in the back seat as well as play a separate DVD in the back.
I'm sure all this is possible and it's probably been done before but I have no idea where to begin.
Thanks
Brad
diagnall 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
You can try although i'm not sure it will work try plugging the factory unit back in and activating the IR output of the headphones. The question is will the need the unit to stay on or just to activate? As far as the dvd input you need the dvd wire information to attach you jvc to it.
mdntblu 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 4:31 PM / IP Logged  
If I do that once I turn off the vehicle and turn it back on it resets back to non-dual zone so therefore it doesn't technically work how I need it to.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 02, 2008 at 6:52 PM / IP Logged  

OK, here's what you need to do. You need to pull the DVD down and access the gray plug behind it . Connect the following

Pin 7 red to pin 5 white

Pin 17 white to pin 15 green

Pin 8 orange to pin 6 red

Pin 18 pink to pin 16 black.

Use a short piece of wire and jump them together. This will make the headphones work.  To get a video signal, look at the plug on the side of the DVD console. There are two wires twisted together, yellow and black. Yellow is the positive siganl and black the neg. If you can get hold of a copy of Mobile Electronics Magazine, March 2006 it has an article explaining this with photos....

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
mdntblu 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 1:39 AM / IP Logged  
Mike,
Thank you very much, this is very helpful. I almost took it to a stereo shop and was going to pay $65/hr to have them do it but for some reason I held off setting up the appointment because I knew I could do it myself if I just had the right information. As soon as I get the right socket to take the DVD player down I'll do these steps and hopefully I'll be all set.
You are awesome!!!! I've been trying to do this for like 1 year now.
Brad
mdntblu 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 04, 2008 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  
BTW, I used this harness upfront for getting power and audio signal from the rear dvd.
http://www.oem-auto-accessory.com/70_5520av_ford_fac_dvd_retention.html
If anyone else wants to know.
shallowgrave 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 8:42 PM / IP Logged  
hey, im trying to do the same thing, is that really all there is to it, splicing rca's into the black and yellow for an input?
mdntblu 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2009 at 10:04 PM / IP Logged  
shallowgrave wrote:
hey, im trying to do the same thing, is that really all there is to it, splicing rca's into the black and yellow for an input?
I actually never even hooked it up. I haven't had time and the tool I needed to take the rear dvd player down to work on it I don't have. Basically I have the rear DVD working and playing the audio to the head unit through the RCA inputs on the head unit but I haven't been able to do anything past that.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic