03 Jeep Liberty Factory Alarm Disarm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
shafferny 
Copper - Posts: 240
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 11:18 AM / IP Logged  

Hi all,

I've come back to the idea of wiring up the keyless entry on my remote car starter, simply because I'm tired of carrying two key fobs around.

I originally posted this back in Feb last year.

https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?tid=101815&KW=ShafferNY#reply

I'm still not sure why I need to disarm the factory alarm? Is there something I'm missing?

When I went out this morning I rolled down the window in my '03 Jeep Liberty and sat in the driver's seat. I then locked the doors with the key fob. This locked the vehicle and armed the alarm. I then unlocked the vehicle at the driver's door, then reach outside and pulled the door open. No alarm.

Why can't I simple do the same with a couple relays?

What am I missing?

TIA

shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  
BTW. I've been told by others that I need to disarm the factory alarm too. I'm just not understanding why? It doesn't make sense to me.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 2:22 PM / IP Logged  
First, you could look here for wiring info.
Second, you may not have a factory alarm at all (keyless with panic button does NOT equal factory alarm). To verify this and confirm whether or not the disarm wire connection is necessary: roll the windows down, lock the doors with the remote, wait 2 minutes, and then reach inside the window and open the door manually without touching the unlock switch.
If the car starts honking/light flashing, you've got an alarm. If it's silent, you don't need to worry about the disarm wire connection and you can limit yourself to the lock/unlock connections for keyless entry.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,666
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  

I recently encountered a 95 Grand Cherokee, the lady lost her keys.  She called Pop-A-Lock and they came by and got into the vehicle and changed the ignition switch and gave her a key for the ignition.  She now has no key for her doors.  Get in and start the vehicle, it runs for 2 seconds then dies.  No horn sounded no lights flashed, I disarmed factory alarm and the vehicle starts and runs fine. 

You may need to try starting your vehicle before you assume you have no factory alarm.

shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 3:50 PM / IP Logged  

chriswallace187 wrote:
First, you could look here for wiring info.
Second, you may not have a factory alarm at all (keyless with panic button does NOT equal factory alarm). To verify this and confirm whether or not the disarm wire connection is necessary: roll the windows down, lock the doors with the remote, wait 2 minutes, and then reach inside the window and open the door manually without touching the unlock switch.
If the car starts honking/light flashing, you've got an alarm. If it's silent, you don't need to worry about the disarm wire connection and you can limit yourself to the lock/unlock connections for keyless entry.

I know it's the factory alarm. I have the Jeep Factory serice manual.

And yes, if I roll the windows down, lock the vehicle with the key fob(to arm the alarm) and then open the door using just the inside handle, the door opens and no alarm goes off. That's way I can't figure out why everyone is telling me I need to disarm the alarm.

shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 3:56 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, BTW

The Jeep is a Limited Edition which has the factory Sentry anti-theft system, which equals the transponder in the key. I had to install a bypass module when installing the remote car starter.

Without the proper key, or bypass modules, you can start the vehicle but it will only run for a few seconds as stated above.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, you've just confirmed that you don't have an alarm...therefore you can tell everyone who's insisting you do to eat s*** and die.
Sentry Key isn't an alarm, it's an immobilizer and you've obviously taken care of that already.
Mike M2 
Platinum - Posts: 2,652
Platinum spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM / IP Logged  

chriswallace187 wrote:
Ok, you've just confirmed that you don't have an alarm...therefore you can tell everyone who's insisting you do to eat s*** and die.
Sentry Key isn't an alarm, it's an immobilizer and you've obviously taken care of that already.

Or did he? Are you waiting a minute or so before opening the door? It takes that long for the factory alarm to arm. The Liberty can come with or without a factory alarm, but it's important to wait that minute. A limited Edition Chrysler product should have one. Chrysler usually puts a red light on the dash that goes from solid to flashing when the alarm is armed(after the minute wait).

Mike M2
Tech Manager
CS Dealer Services
shafferny 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2008 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  

Yes! I have the light on the dash that flashed when the alarm is armed.

I know it has an alarm, because if I unlock the Jeep with a key, and pull the door open it sets of the alarm...which sounds identical to the panic alarm.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 25, 2008 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Ok wow...this saga is getting really bizarre.
Unlocking the door with the key and opening it should NOT set off the alarm. The factory disarm wire should be connected to the key cylinder on the earlier Libertys, and disarm when the door is unlocked with the key(later models with the integrated key-remote disarm only via remote or seeing the correct transponder code when the ignition is powered up.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic