the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

kicker cvr12, dual voice coil wiring?


Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
teefs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Joined: November 15, 2008
Location: California, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 12:40 AM / IP Logged  
i just purchased two kicker cvr 12" 2ohm dual voice coil subwoofers.
i have a phoenix gold 1600w class D mono amp.
it puts out 800rms @2ohm wich would be perfect for these subs.
now my problem here is....
on this sites woofer wiring diagrams, it says :
2 speakers/2ohm dual voice coil can be wired to be 2ohm
but in the kicker cvr12 manual that came with the subs it says:
dual 2ohm voice coils = 1ohm load
dual 2ohm voice coils = 4ohm load
its completely opposite of the sites wiring diagram.
so i figured i would wire them how it said on this site...@2ohms
....but my subs sound low and they turn off when i turn up the gain and bass.
my question is.. do these subs have a different way of wiring?
should i return them and get the 4ohm dvc models?
or keep the 2ohm dvc models?
because in order for them to sound right with my amp....it has to be 2ohm to put out the full 800rms....
any help is highly appreciated.
teefs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Joined: November 15, 2008
Location: California, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
posted_imagethis is how i have them wired in the box.
making (two) cvr12's 2ohm dvc into a 2ohm load combined.
shouldnt my amp be powering them enough?
ive heard these same subs hit hard with a 1000w 2ch amp.
my amp is a 1600w mono class D.
but for some reason it is not loud at all.
should i buy better wires to wire the subs??
(or does this not make a big difference?
and what is the problem that keeps shutting off my subs when i turn it up loud? or turn up the gain and lpf
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,715
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 22, 2003
Location: Arizona, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
Read and follow the "How to set your gains" sticky thread.
Support the12volt.com
teefs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Joined: November 15, 2008
Location: California, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Read and follow the "How to set your gains" sticky thread.
i know how to tune my amp.
ive used this amp to power other subs and it never shut off on me.
im asking if the speaker wire i used to wire the subs inside the box may be the problem causing this.
maybe its too thin? or not the right cables?
i used some speaker wire i got from a old amp kit.
the same kind i used to connect the subs to the amp.
teefs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Joined: November 15, 2008
Location: California, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 2:55 PM / IP Logged  
posted_image
here is a copy of the manual that came with my subs.
how should i wire them to my amp?
most subs ive worked with have the voice coils side by side right
next to eachother.
these cvr's have one in each 4 corners of the sub.
and the wiring diagram above has the wires crossing the sub. usually they arent like that....
someone helllppp
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,715
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 22, 2003
Location: Arizona, United States
Posted: November 15, 2008 at 6:13 PM / IP Logged  

teefs wrote:
DYohn wrote:
Read and follow the "How to set your gains" sticky thread.
i know how to tune my amp.
ive used this amp to power other subs and it never shut off on me.
im asking if the speaker wire i used to wire the subs inside the box may be the problem causing this.
maybe its too thin? or not the right cables?
i used some speaker wire i got from a old amp kit.
the same kind i used to connect the subs to the amp.

Uh huh.  No, the wire gauge is not your problem.  Either your amp is defective, or a speaker is defective, or you do not have them wired correctly (and your diagram is fine for a 2-ohms load) or you shorted out the speaker wire, or you have crap power in the car, or your amp is not really stable at 2-ohms, or your gain is too high.  Like I said before, please read and follow the "how to set your gains" sticky because based on what you've posted in this thread, you do NOT know how to "tune" your amp and this is what you should do first.

Support the12volt.com
teefs 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Joined: November 15, 2008
Location: California, United States
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 2:16 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

teefs wrote:
DYohn wrote:
Read and follow the "How to set your gains" sticky thread.
i know how to tune my amp.
ive used this amp to power other subs and it never shut off on me.
im asking if the speaker wire i used to wire the subs inside the box may be the problem causing this.
maybe its too thin? or not the right cables?
i used some speaker wire i got from a old amp kit.
the same kind i used to connect the subs to the amp.

Uh huh.  No, the wire gauge is not your problem.  Either your amp is defective, or a speaker is defective, or you do not have them wired correctly (and your diagram is fine for a 2-ohms load) or you shorted out the speaker wire, or you have crap power in the car, or your amp is not really stable at 2-ohms, or your gain is too high.  Like I said before, please read and follow the "how to set your gains" sticky because based on what you've posted in this thread, you do NOT know how to "tune" your amp and this is what you should do first.

my amp is 2ohm stable.
ive pushed many subs with this same amp. the amp is not defective because just last week it was pushing some 450rms speakers so thats 900rms.
and now it wont even push these kicker cvrs.
i thought someone would help me on here but all your doing is "talking doodie"
and YES i do know how to tune a damn amp. its simple.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: January 19, 2003
Location: Michigan, Bouvet Island
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 5:52 PM / IP Logged  
First: if you feel there isn't enough output, make certain your woofers are in phase with one another. If they are out of phase, you will get very little or no output. This is where I would start. Checking the phase is easy. Remove the leads from the amp, and "pop" the woofers with a battery. The woofers both need to move the same direction, and pretty close to the same distance...
Second: an attitude like you are coming here with will get you NO help, in a HUGE hurry. DYohn IS trying to help you... You seem to be very willing to not listen to the advice he is giving you.
ALL woofers are dynamic impedance devices, and one woofer from one manufacturer will NOT behave the same way as another woofer from EVEN IF THE NOMINAL SPECIFIED IMPEDANCE IS THE SAME. You must re-adjust your gains whenever you change a load. You cannot avoid this.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,715
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Joined: April 22, 2003
Location: Arizona, United States
Posted: November 16, 2008 at 6:41 PM / IP Logged  
Like I keep saying, your gain is set incorrectly, and you probably have a phase problem as well (wired incorrectly.)  If being told you did something wrong is "talking doodie" then doodie I do talk.
Support the12volt.com

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

  Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

  •  
Search the12volt.com
Follow the12volt.com Follow the12volt.com on Facebook
Thursday, March 23, 2017 • Copyright © 1999-2017 the12volt.com Donate to the12volt.com Advertising Top of Page
Disclaimer: *All information on this site ( the12volt.com ) is provided "as is" without any warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to fitness for a particular use. Any user assumes the entire risk as to the accuracy and use of this information. Please verify all wire colors and diagrams before applying any information.
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
Donate to the12volt.com
Top
the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer