icon

cliffnet to laptop?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
swing 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
HELP!!!!!!! I've got a clifford concept 650mk2 with all the whistles and bells, but i'm having trouble. nearly a year ago i bought the cliffnet kit(with usb leads) from precision alarms in kent. plugged it all in and nothing happened. spoke to precision alarms and basically got told thier stuff works and my laptop/vista is doodiee!!!!!! Anyway, after spending loads on leads and accessories i've ended up with a PCIMIA-rsr card in my laptop to plug into the clifford alarm. STILL NO JOY!!! when i run the cliffnet program it never detects the leads.It only checks COM 1-4, so i changed the COM settings on my leads to read 1-4 and then the program misses those ports out. when i trouble shoot cliffnet it says "error code 2" (no drivers). I have the cliffnet 2.2 disc and i have re-formatted my laptop.................. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH IT?????? Any advise would be greatly recieved....... PLEASE.......}
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 6:02 PM / IP Logged  

Two words...forget it or find an old laptop with a serial input . You're treading really old ground here,  secondly the software is extremely glitched espcially with G5 product  and if you have an intellistart you're heading for TROUBLE.  Personally with Clifford product I much prefer to manually programme it. Many of the dealers I have contracted to will say that customers using the Wiz will invalidate the warantee! I actually use an old Dell set to Win 98 SE and even that gives problems.

OmarR 
Copper - Posts: 162
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 31, 2008 at 6:53 PM / IP Logged  

Howie is right.

I have an IBM Thinkpad X31with XP Pro and I tried every software/configuration running off of the USB port. Nothing worked.

I add the docking station, which comes with a serial port, and it worked like a charm.

You will have to find a computer with a serial port.

swing 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Thanx Howie.
At least that puts to rest the question of my abilities.....
so now i need an old laptop....
Many thanx for the advice...
swing 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
Thnax OmarR
Like I said to Howie, looks like you two are right and i need an old laptop with a serial port.
Gutted, but also greatful for the advice.....
Thanx again.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Two points emerge from this, what do you need the wizard for?  Short of more easily changing siren tones and 4 digit valet code which can be done more easily via computer than manually, the ONLY thing you need the Wiz for on a Clifford product would be to set the crank time on a remote start. Even then the Wiz glitches up teribly on G5 product, it won't learn tach, you'll probably find you suddenly have auto-arm and auto-lock etc. etc. And it hasn't learned the crank time; I've heard of 50 attempts by a dealer before it was saved. If I do a remote start on a modern vehicle, I leave well alone and just tell the customer it might take 2 attempts to start on a cold winter's morning. To me any dealership selling Wiz to a customer is a fool and they will pay for it in rectification work. Most  EXPERIENCED dealerships refuse to sell them to the public.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 01, 2009 at 10:24 PM / IP Logged  

hey howie, isnt it DEI rules that only authorized dealers can install/sell alarm products... how did they sell him a cliffnet programmer and software? btw, they have usb to rs232(com/serial port) or vice versa as well.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 4:51 AM / IP Logged  
They are only supposed to sell the software that that lets the public into level one user level. Level two, the one I get allows one to adjust installer and r/s features, level three is kept at head office, underwrite software to remove the supposedly mandatory passive immobilisation. The owners manual only gives user programming features. I still don't know why swing needs it. How many 232 to USB interfaces do you need, I've got at least 2, I know DEI here tried for a year. If Clifford was on it's own, the original plan was to update or rewrite the software as PDA compatible then give it a USB interface. Now, future Cliffords will all be Bitwriter compatible, unfortunately there was talk of making that software available for PDAs but it never happened.
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 02, 2009 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
if it was made fo pda, it sure would be easier. less wires and smaller to hold while programming. but if that bitwriter comes out, all will change. i used the compustat op500 bitwriter, and without it you cant really do much with the options and timings on the latched aux output.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic