the12volt.com spacer
icon

Focal Beryllium BMW

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
robolop 
Copper - Posts: 157
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2011 at 5:49 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote robolop

Now the cone worked perfectly for me, I just need to make some aluminium toggles to Mount it.

I drawed some models first, and then made one out of 10mm thick MDF.
I drawed it out on an aluminum plate of 6mm thick.

Focal Beryllium BMW - Page 16 -- posted image.

I sawed out the toggles, and pasted them on the MDF, and held them against the copy mill with this result.

You can also see that I modified the model a bit, on the front. I made it rounder, so it looks a bit like a sled now.

What you can also see on the alu, is that I used a new mill. The sides are more smooth then usual, but some polishing will still be necessary.

This aluminium plate I made for the PPI, I modified a bit, so I can still use it in the new set-up.

sullivan91 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2011 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote sullivan91
Wow. Jaw dropping.
Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2011 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote Melted Fabric
Just when you thought he was out of ideas. Marvelous work mate.
I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
trae08 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2011 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote trae08
This is the most amazing work i have ever seen. I cannot believe how amazing your work is. I just went through all 16 pages and expected it to be finished. But now i think this is a project that is never done. Keep up the great work.
toy civic 
Member - Posts: 9
Member spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2011 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote toy civic

This is the kind of build that automotive engineers need to read up on before they design the crap that rolls off the assembly line. This is awe inspiring.

I am just starting out in this industry..........sort of. I've been a novice for about 17 years, but spent the past 20 years in the US Navy. Now that I am retired, I am going to a Mobile Electronics school so I can do this kind of stuff full time and have access to the right tools and facilities. 

fatgotti 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2012 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote fatgotti
Unbelievable.... Standing Ovation....WOW...........
Fatgotti    Yeah my name is John and I am FAT!! YEAH BABY
ekgotskillzz 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: February 09, 2012 at 11:55 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote ekgotskillzz
Dude you are sick....incredible build..thanks for sharing
robolop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 4:04 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote robolop

Here you can see what will happen to the cone and the aluminium toggles.

As you can see this stands in the centre of the amplifierbox. I also made a little carbon plate where it all is mounted on.
Through these holes, the amplifier-cabling will go.
For the moment, in the centre of the cone, there's a big blue led.
If this will remain, I'm not sure. I also have a white little neon that fits into there.

To divide the light a bit better, I milled a finer piece of plexi glass, and . This will come behind the JL Logo.

Here you can see the result with the blue led.

I think you can see that the cone is 10x more beautifully shaped. I call this is a female cone, a "conin"

You can also see I re-used the aluminum plate from the PPI. This was a bit to nice to throw into the bin, so it's being re-used.

The first cone I made, the one that landed directly into the garbage, I recovered.

I used this one to cover with carbon fire. I didn't had any problems with this.

About Evo2, I'm still not sure how to do this. It'll stay a mistery, and I'll have to do some magic. I hope there's

robolop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 4:06 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote robolop

Most of you may remember I bough 2 JL audio amplifiers.

Because they are too heavy (power), I did a little trick.
I first screwed them on a shelf.

[SIZE="5"]Do not try this at home :[/SIZE] :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:  :yahoo:

Then I put in the disc...

What I was thinkin' while cutting...." will the waranty expire now ?"

You never know these things go bad after some time...
LOL

robolop 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote robolop

After some serious thinking, I made an attempt to cover the little cone with carbon fibre.

The first attempt went wrong from the start, but sometimes you need these setbacks to get back on track, and to think about what you’ve done wrong.
The second attempt went better, but I must say that my hat of tricks…is empty again.
Today was the day to see if it was really good. After some abrading, I saw that I went perfectly.
The one thing that needed to be done is to bring on a set of epoxi-layers.

Since the cone is round, the epoxy would drip off the carbon fibre, so there would be more epoxi on the floor, then on the carbon fibre.

In my hat, I had another trick left.
So I put a stang through the cone, and made 2 aluminium bracelets. Then I mounted this with the stand on to a little motor.
I also added some adjustable feeding, to I could begin with my first layer of epoxy.
Here you can see how I did it.
“let’s roast the cone”

Cause the cone is turning now, the epoxi can’t drip off.

Here you can see there’s a lot of epoxi on there, and it’s still nice and smooth after the first layer.

I let this turn for about 2 hours, untill the epoxi didn’t stick anymore. After that I put it into the oven.

The next few days I can abrade it firmly, and give it another layer of epoxi.
At the end of the cone, I’m going to make a little aluminium piece to finish it off.
I’m really happy I managed to do this, because it was that could go terribly wrong, but it worked out fine.
Up to the next!

Page of 17

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic