the12volt.com spacer
icon

adding cruise to 2003 silverado

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
winner329 
Member - Posts: 6
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2012 at 5:48 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote winner329
Even though it's been over a year, I thought I would follow up on this.
I finally decided to take my truck into the shop to see if they could find out what was wrong with the cruise. They told me the stupid cruise switch wasn't working and that they couldn't check the module/servo(?) thing because the switch didn't work. They wanted over $300 just to replace the multi-function handle (over $400 if it was both issues) so I told them forget about it.
I then ordered a new cruise arm off ebay for $60 with shipping and replaced it myself. That did the trick. The cruise now works.
Guess I should have just bought a new one instead of hitting up the auto salvage. Live and learn.
possum51 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 3:07 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote possum51
An FYI for all who own an 03 - 06 Silverado. Adding cruise control IS a Plug-N-Play upgrade. All 03 -06 Gas engine silverado's have the same wiring harness and have an ETC/ECM (electronic throttle control) no cables and are factory programmed with cruise control. If you have or buy one that doesn't have cruise control, you can find the correct switch in most parts stores for around $140 - $160. I found a new in the box switch w/cruise on ebay for $50. The plug for the cruise wire is already on the column, it took about 30-45 mins to change out the multifunction switch and I now have factory cruise control no cutting or soldering wires. The factory indicator light in the dash will also start working once the switch is installed and engaged. As for the braking system on these trucks its all done through the speed sensor and the ETC/ECM, after installing I test drove (on a back road to be safe) just tap the brake pedal and it turns off the cruise like it suppose to. It all functions just like it came that way from the factory (because it did) except for the switch. Happy Trucking !!!
jaeger33 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 08, 2015 at 2:53 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote jaeger33
How about brining this oldie back to life and helping me out. After a $750 quote from the dealer for a 2003 Silverado 3500 Cruise control upgrade I found a number of links like this that made it seem like no big deal. I ordered a new part for $89 bucks from Amazon and completed the install (as other sites and this had directed) with no problem at all. Now the problem.
Well it didn't work. No on-dash lights came up when I turned it on. Not only did the cruise not work now if I accelerated above 20mph the truck would not switch gears (as if it had a regulator on it). Getting well above 20mph before turning on cruise control had the same effect (a down-shift). Turning the cruise control off and everything worked fine. (keep reading).
Did some online research and found a conflict with a "brake controller" that came with the truck when I got it so I disconnected that system and that did fix the downshiffting/regulating/anti-+20mph problem but I still do not have any on-dash lights or cruise control function.
I have checked the fuses to make sure they work and so now I am at a loss.
Ben Johnson
davep. 
Gold - Posts: 639
Gold spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2015 at 2:36 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote davep.
jaeger33 wrote:
After a $750 quote from the dealer for a 2003 Silverado 3500 Cruise control upgrade.....
Well it didn't work. .....
found a conflict with a "brake controller" that came with the truck
Gas or Diesel?
If a Diesel, I suspect the addition of Cruise may be more involved, including a reprogram, than gas, as the method by which the cruise interfaces with the engine is completely different. Ie, Diesels don't have "throttle blades".
1-Tons with brake controllers are more apt to be Diesel powered than gas powered. That's why I ask.
Page of 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic