icon

fiberglass experts needed for ideas

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the_one369 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 01, 2011 at 4:15 PM / IP Logged  
I am looking for some ideas on how to hold fiberglass matting onto a roof so i can apply resin. A little back ground I am working on a FB65 Freightliner. I had to tear apart the interior panels and remove the old layer of fiberglass and the honeycomb board. I have installed the new honeycomb board and now need to lay a layer of fiberglass matting to tie the whole roof together. I have already stapled the matting to the honeycomb and it stays up just fine but when i apply the resin the staples come out  due to the added weight and the matting falls. I will try and post pictures soon.
tonanzith 
Gold - Posts: 593
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 07, 2011 at 10:51 PM / IP Logged  
Take down the matting that you currently have stapled up in place. Start by brushing or rolling on a THIN layer of resin and allow it to get slightly tacky. Work fast and start applying the matting. It will stick and hold to the layer of resin. Finish the layer and allow to dry. Repeat until the thickness you want is achieved.
Gary Sather
rubn1out 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2011 at 7:42 AM / IP Logged  
Gravity remains your biggest enemy here. The ONLY way to get it right is to turn the roof upside down. Obviously not an option for a bus in working servicable operation...next best bet is to find a junker at a bone yard and have them chop the top....make your fabbed parts in sections that will fit through the door of the bus..... what you are doing is extreme....so it calls for extreme measures...and this is the BEST way to go about it....
L x W x H / 1728 = ?
D x 3.14 = C
the_one369 
Copper - Posts: 80
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2011 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
Thank you both for your suggestions. Well an update and how i got it to work. I left the matting up on the roof and I did VERY small sections. I was using a pint at a time and would work from the outside of the roof towards the center. It turned out great but it took FOREVER! So as of today I am putting the interior panels back in place. Thank you again.
rubn1out 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2012 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  
got pix?? we wanna see!! :D
L x W x H / 1728 = ?
D x 3.14 = C

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic