icon

head unit w/ 2 outputs, mono + 4 channel

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
thesilverford 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM / IP Logged  
Hey guys, I am doing my install this weekend, ( still waiting for shipping).
I bought a head unit but I didnt know it had only 2 sets of RCA outputs. (stupid I know, gotta read the specs better next time).
I have to wire 4 speakers out of my 4 channel amp and a sub out of a mono amp.
This would of course would require 3 sets of RCA Outputs. didnt think of that before hand lol.
Solution = RCA y splitters.
I am going to wire up the 4 channel amp out of one of the outputs on the headunit using y splitters, and use the remaining output for the mono amp.
I whipped up a wiring diagram on photoshop.
Please let me know if you recommend wiring it differently. This is my first install so any pointers would be appreciated.
I don't really feel like returning the head unit as I would have to ship it back and its pretty inconvenient, also it was a good price. Let me know if you think this will work out good or not with this head unit.
thanks.head unit w/ 2 outputs, mono + 4 channel -- posted image.
thesilverford 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 28, 2012 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
its a 2007 ford f150 by the way. im sure it doesnt matter but it says to post that info.
thanks for your help.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2012 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
you can use y splitters but if you amp has speaker level inputs then you can run the rear channels of the amp from the rear speaker wires of the radio and this way you would still be able to use the front/rear fade function if you wanted to.
thesilverford 
Member spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2012 at 8:13 PM / IP Logged  
ive been told i can use the pass thru on the mono sub amp, and use that to go into the 4 channel for the rear speakers. the rear speakers are more for filling than anything so they should be ok with that low freq signal.
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM / IP Logged  
What's the amp?  There's nothing wring with using Y-splitters.  In your initial diagram the only significant down-side is you'll have no front-rear fade control.
Support the12volt.com
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2012 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  

please tell us the make and model numbers of all your stereo equipment.

it will help us give you the best options.

yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM / IP Logged  
the pass through output on any given amp will only pass through whatever signal is it given. so if you send the sub amp a subwoofer signal then your rear speakers will only have a subwoofer signal as well. the rear signal, even if you only want it to pick up a "mid" signal should still pick up at least until about 2000Hz which is well beyond the range of a subwoofer signal. if anything you should split the front signal to give your rear signal enough bandwidth to give your rears enough audio to support your front speakers.
pts760 
Copper - Posts: 403
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 7:35 AM / IP Logged  
If this is your first install don't cut yourself short. Send that deck back and get one with high voltage 6 channel pre-outs...Never use splitters for something in your case it not worth saving a couple bucks. You get what you pay for and if you pay for what you should get you'll never be disappointed.
I drink current, eat ohms, and bleed voltage
soundnsecurity 
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 8:34 AM / IP Logged  
pts760 wrote:
If this is your first install don't cut yourself short. Send that deck back and get one with high voltage 6 channel pre-outs...Never use splitters for something in your case it not worth saving a couple bucks. You get what you pay for and if you pay for what you should get you'll never be disappointed.
a lot of brands now only put 3 sets of preouts in their higher end decks now and the price difference can be a lot more than a couple bucks.
itsyuk 
Silver - Posts: 505
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 31, 2012 at 12:50 PM / IP Logged  
what quality 4 ch amp built in the last 15 years wouldnt have a summing switch for the 2 pair of inputs anyway.
yuk
quiet rural missouri, near KC.
If your system moves you physically and not emotionally, you have wasted your money.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic