the12volt.com spacer
icon

varad sll led compatibility with viper791

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
navydiver80 
Member - Posts: 4
Member spacespace
Posted: April 06, 2012 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navydiver80

I am having a hard time figuring this problem out and any help would be apreciated.  I have a 06 Tacoma with a viper 791xv alarm instaled.  Good and reliable system in my opinion.  I want to add a Varad 2 watt flashing alarm LED.

I know this led is designed to flash only when/while the alarm is triggered.  I have followed the apparently very simple instructions which indicate the following:

If you like you can check the pdf from Varad's website.

http://www.varad.com/v4/pdf/IM-SLL.pdf

red wire to 12v constant

black wire to ground

orange wire to alarm ground output

white wire to 12v siren input. (my alarm only has siren output)

After several tries and contacting Varad tech support I was surprised to find out that Varad does not know their own product very well.  After sever trial and error and bench testing my conections, the only way it is working so far is like this:

the connections were made on the primary harness (H1)

varad's red wire to H1/2 red (+) constant power input

varad's black wire to H1/5 black (-) chassis ground input

varad's orange wire to H1/5 black (-) chassis ground input

varad's white wire to H1/12 orange (-) 500mA armed output

This is the ONLY way I have been able to make the led do in-part what is supposed to do. Flash three times when armed and flash five time when disarmed.

My problem is when the alarm is triggered it's not setting off the led, which is it's only purpose.  If the alarm is triggered the led must flash until the alarm is reseted.

I contacted Varad and told the my findings and asked for some direction and their answer pretty much was "oh well, i don't know what to tell you"

I think it needs and input from when the system is triggered and that is where I'm lost.   

I hope somebody could help me out and thanks in advance.

howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2012 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
What happens if you change over Varad orange to DEI orange and white wire to the lights output from the Viper?
navydiver80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2012 at 1:31 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navydiver80
howie ll, thank you man!  it works, I feel like a dummie.  Thanks again man.
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 07, 2012 at 1:34 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Pleasure. I love it when it works out to the good.
navydiver80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 10, 2012 at 10:52 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navydiver80
Hello Howie, the hook up worked great the way you told me. I just didn't noticed until now that when I turn my running light on the led also comes on.
Do I need to get a diode in there? and if so, where do I place it?
Thanks
howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2012 at 3:47 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote howie ll
Change the white wire over to the horn output (or whatever they call it, that brown wire on the 791 sends 12V POS to the siren), BROWN on the 791.
navydiver80 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2012 at 12:13 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote navydiver80
Howie, thanks for your replies. Originally that is the way I connected it, the led white wire to the brown (+12V Siren Output on the 791XV side). The minute is hook the battery back up the siren goes off. It constantly stays on - the siren sounds really low volume though.
Any ideas would really help, like I said originally Varad tech support has not been very helpful.
Thanks.
stanward 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 05, 2015 at 12:33 AM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stanward
I just bought this Varad SLL and it doesn't work out of the box (purchased from Amazon).
I bench tested it and I only connected power and ground and the LED won't turn off.
stanward 
Copper - Posts: 57
Copper spacespace
Posted: August 07, 2015 at 8:17 PM / IP Logged Link to Post Post Reply Quote stanward
Anyone owns this Varad SLL strobe? There is little to no information on the internet.
I returned the broken one to Amazon and they are shipping me another.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic, you must first login.
If you are not already registered, you must first register.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic