the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 27, 2012 at 6:45 PM / IP Logged  
Totally worth the wait!!!
Its simple but you have taken all the time to find the proper spacing and kerf amounts.
I am going to share this with my friend so he can make custom grills for his bumper!
Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 29, 2012 at 12:16 PM / IP Logged  
Hey z03mz03m...... great idea!!!! Ooooh how my Nissan front grill can use a mess type upgrade. Will try that soon. Let me know how your friend makes out first then ill give it a try.
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2012 at 10:13 AM / IP Logged  
Started on the doors, going to install JL Audio C5-650.
Cut the door panel and laid down the first layer of FG.
2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 3 -- posted image.
Cause of the cold in Dirty Jersey the resin is not hardening well. Anyone know where i can get a good heat lamp or something for it??????
I don't want to spend a lot,, $20-$30 if i can get away with it????
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM / IP Logged  
mix the FG right... no amount of heat lamp will help a fiberglass project that isnt mixed right. not intending to be mean, im just speaking from experience. ive had a few fiberglass pieces scrapped because i didnt mix the resin the right way for the temperature.
id love to see what you have planned for those door panels though. i dont quite have the same "all out" vision for my frontier but i am coming to the point where im needing to think about doing come custom work to my doors to justify owning my own custom shop.
im wanting to take some diamond audio mids that i have saved from a set of components and use them to turn my diamond audio HEX pro components into a custom 3-way component set, running totally active.
i might be making some pods in the space between the 6x9 location and the door handles to hold a set of HEX 6.5 mids. if this idea doesnt pan out then the mids will be thrown into the back doors as rear fill.
anyway, good job so far with cutting the door panels and glassing the opening so keep up the good work. my truck is too new for me to even think about wanting to mod my door panels this much. maybe in a few years ill go all out and make some truly custom glassed panels for my frontier.
z03mz03m 
Copper - Posts: 244
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2012 at 7:26 AM / IP Logged  

I used a 1000 degree heat gun $30 from ACE and more MEKP when its cold. I learned the hard way....in the dumpster below is the driverside of my trunk.....

z03mz03m wrote:
Well I have another reason why I hate winter....
winter + fiberglass = MORE MEKP2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 3 -- posted image. 2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 3 -- posted image. 2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 3 -- posted image.
Oh and don't use doodiey tape. And always use two layers...its not a waste.
I didn't care because I was going to put black carpeting over the sides of my trunk anyway. But if that had hardened it probably would not have come off.

Dodge Magnum in progress:
Pioneer DEH-80PRS - PPI Amps - Dayton Subwoofer(s) - Exodus Anarchy's - Vifa Tweeters - Kinetik Battery
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2012 at 8:29 PM / IP Logged  
Put on a 2nd & 3rd layer of FG with 3M resin (poly type), first layer took forever to harden, 3 days. This time I used a room heater and 3M resin ( worked 10X better then Bondo CR@p resin..... ill never use that stuff again. Lesson Learned !!!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 10, 2012 at 7:31 PM / IP Logged  
what do you plan to fill that gaping hole with in your door panel? speaker ring?
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 13, 2012 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
Plain to do a teardrop ring, aimed to the front dome light for proper imaging. Did the large gap cause i was thinking to FG the back to make a ported enclosure tuned to 63Hz? The 2 JL 10w6 subs will be 80Hz and below. But cant find all the specs on the JL 6.5" for the box calc. May need to call JL.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2012 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
Trimed up the FG Door mold.
Cut out the 6.5 mdf rings and the tweets.
Make life easy i used 2 hole saws together came out perfect.
Counter sunk the screws to hold down the mdf for the Tweeter rings
need to make last tweeter ring :) , the rest all sanded and done
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 17, 2012 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  
waiting for the new FG rollers to come in today so i can finish the doors off. I cant stress how important it to have the right tools. When i made the door molds i had a few bubbles and weak spots cus i didn't roll/push the resin in correctly for the mat with the paint brush. I ordered 3 different roller for $70 with shipping, not bad for the trouble it will save me. It took me 2 hours of sanding and glassing to make the repair in the door mold. Lesson learned!!!!!
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic