the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 05, 2013 at 7:04 PM / IP Logged  
nice pods dude those look good. the headliner in your pathfinder should be way easier to take out than my frontier because you can slide your through the back hatch. i cant really give you specific instructions on yours without seeing it so if you want to post pics of your pillars and anything thats attached to the headliner then i should be able to walk you through it.
but, basic instructions would be to pull all of the pillars out. i think you have to start from the bottom on the B pillars.
all of the overhead handles need to come off, they are screwed in with 10mm bolts.
the map light and overhead compartment should just pop off if it is the same like mine. it might be hard to pull off if it has never been detached before.
any rear dome lights should have screws in them that you can get to after you pop off the cover.
be careful when you finally release everything from the headliner because any wiring harnesses that run along the roof will be glued to the headliner. just pull them loose but try not to rip the headliner form too much because its made of paper.
after everything is loose you should be able to just slide the headliner out the back hatch. you might have to bend it a little. i almost had to bend mind in half to get it through my door.
after that you just need to glue the new material on top of the old headliner. most headliners you would have to strip the old material off but these you dont have to.
MAKE SURE YOU USE GOOD GLUE AND SPRAY BOTH THE HEADLINER AND THE NEW MATERIAL. i use fabric and foam glue that i get from a distributor that needs to be sprayed with a spray gun. the lowest i would recommend is 3M foam and fabric adhesive.
do half of the headliner at a time, dont try to do it all in one shot. line up the new material on the headliner to make sure you have the fabric straight. fold the material in half and spray glue on the exposed half. let the glue rest for about 5 minutes and then lay the fabric over a little bit at a time, smoothing it out with your hands. be careful not to cause any wrinkles or creases when you lay the fabric because they dont come out. i suggest at least one other person help you with this part.
once you have one half done just repeat the process with the other half and then let the headliner sit and dry for a few hours before you try to put it back in your truck.
edit: just realized that all you wanted was to drop the headliner to dynamat the roof so sorry about the giant post but ill leave it up since it might be helpful to someone.
krush 
Copper - Posts: 72
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 07, 2013 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  
Thx for the tips Sound....
Did the soundproofing on the door and tailgate panels.
laid the rubber and open cell foam. I was going to use Great Stuff in the large gaps, but its messy and expands to much which may cause the door panels to warp.
2007 Nissan Pathfinder, Fiberglass Projects - Page 5 -- posted image.
laid 5 layers to inside of the pods. Didn't put any on the outside cause i didn't want to bulk up the nice curves.
put on filler and Cant get good curves with machine sanders so i hand sanded for 3 hours and still not done.
The best tool in my work shop, is my BRAIN!!!!
soundnsecurity 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 09, 2013 at 10:17 AM / IP Logged  
is that yellow foam you used in your door expensive? im thinking of doing the same thing but im also going to roll some dynamat along the seams of the door panel to make sure they are solid.
i learned my lesson about using great stuf foam inside a car long ago. just dont do it. its hard to work with and keep clean and it never comes out if you get it somewhere you dont want it.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 11, 2013 at 11:34 AM / IP Logged  
The yellow foam is just carpet lining from your local Carpet Store. Its the same open cell foam that the car audio company's push on us, just not as pretty lol. i think i pay $100 for a 20'x10'x3/4" roll, got it last year. I glued down MLV (got from Amazon) to the panels fist and then put the cell foam on. Cheaper then deadner and way better improvement.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 15, 2013 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
OK so i finished the door pod!!!! not liking them at all!!!!
1) color doesn't flow with the doors
   need to add a few flat panel designs with more same color.
2) dam pod edges are way too thick
   sand the hell out of them to 1/8 thick instead of the 3/8 (got a little layer happy when i got the new FG rollers in LOL)
3) there is a lot of where and tear in the doors so I'm going to cover the pod in beige vinyl.
Guys let me know what else you see wrong!!!! open to comments and help
Installed the JL amp volume controls and the pioneer rear-view camera controller in the dash. The local shop that install the Avic-Z130bt did a very bad job on the install. Had to redo most of it. Even worst they put the GPS antenna behind the radio under the dash. wth NO WONDER why my GPS was always giving problems. Going to mount it on the center dash.
Wired the RCA's and front a-pillar speaker wires (still haven't ran any of my power/ground wires) to the JL XD400/4 under the driver seat
Cut the volume controller wire and re-crimped the RJ-3 jack (just so you guys know the JL volume controller wire is just a simple 4wire pots line crossed over)
soundnsecurity 
Posted: January 16, 2013 at 3:10 PM / IP Logged  
arent those giant RCA's just a blast to work with in tight spaces? i hated running those under my seats...
wow ive never seen someone just stick the GPS antenna under the dash. if i were you i would run the antenna to the roof or at least to the center of the dash in the corner by the windshield. the gps works better with line-of-sight, so having it inside your vehicle is still not the best spot.
i saw the cover you made for the shift knob too, i once thought about making something for my shifter but i dont know what i want to use. i didnt think of fiberglass but maybe i should make one
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 16, 2013 at 4:27 PM / IP Logged  
Ya they are a pain in the but. The RCAs are the same size as the 4AWG Knuknoceptz. And i had to run 4 of them, 2 for the front, 1 for the rear and sub channels. Just the 2 took up all the space in the side well under the door sills :(
Sound that's the OEM shifter on the LE Pathfinder!!!! LOL
I have no clue how to make one YET....
soundnsecurity 
Posted: January 16, 2013 at 5:40 PM / IP Logged  
OH! damn, it looks like it has about the same texture as the pods you made and i didnt notice the stitching that you can barely see in the picture. oh well i wanted to make a cover because it has a scratch on it. but it did give me an idea to make a cover out of fiberglass. it should be awesome painted gloss black like my truck and also planning on painting the dash kit and some other accent pieces with my new snap-on airbrush that i have been itching to use.
i only had to make one long run with those RCA's to my passenger seat and then two 3ft runs under the console to the drivers seat to my PDX 4 channel. i have a different kind of RCA running to my bass amp.
krush 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2013 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i already had the Tail panels removed for deadening..... SOOOO i installed a Pioneer Backup Camera ND-BC20PA into the rear chrome tail cover. I wanted it to look like the factory install. All i need to do now is make a square cover and stick it on to cover the caulking around the camera.
soundnsecurity 
Posted: January 25, 2013 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
did you have to cut a hole for that rear view camera? or did you do that so it would sit more flush?
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic