icon

cruise control with dbw

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dalegthomas 
Member - Posts: 10
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 1:35 AM / IP Logged  

I am building a F5R MK IV Roadster. Engine is a Ford Coyote 5.0 with Drive-By-Wire throttle (no throttle cable). I believe for the throttle connection I somehow need to use the pedal. Can anyone help explain how I can do this? And which product is best for this application?

Cheers, Dale

From this site:

Throttle
This connection can be the easiest and the most difficult to make of all. But don't let it discourage you from installing cruises. So long as you can get a straight pull on the throttle with a smidgen of slack in the cable, then you'll be fine. Most are simple and very straight forward. Some will require a throttle adapter. And some just a little ingenuity, especially when you need to attach to the top of the pedal. Be sure to check the application guide for each vehicle you will install a cruise into. This will give you a list of parts the vehicle requires, or even if it is recommended not to attempt the install. If the vehicle is new and not listed (usually during model year changes), contact your dealer / distributor or manufacturer for any updates.
or the throttle connection I believe I need to somehow use the pedal.  "
Building FFR MK IV Roadster
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 2:59 AM / IP Logged  
IMO it means that you may be able to use whatever signal the throttle to electrical sensor is providing.
It could be an analog voltage or a digital signal - though it's probably analog (a variable resistor) else a mere switch or 2.
Hence how can the above signal also feed the cruise control?
dalegthomas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  

Thanks for the response, but that's a bit over my head; I can do it if I'm told how. I guess I'll have to study-up on all this and get wiring diagrams for a late model modular engine Mustang with DBW and see how they make it work. The PCM/harness pack instructions that come with the engine (designed for car builders/hotrods) specifically states that it does not support cruise control. I contacted Ford Racing and they said "if it was easy, we would have done it." and advised that one may have to use the pedal, somehow.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
You can do a pedal pull installation which is very common now or see if something here will work on your vehicle: http://www.rostra.com/custom-drive-by-wire-aftermarket-cruise-control-by-rostra.php
cruise control with dbw -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
dalegthomas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 6:47 PM / IP Logged  

12volt, Thank you; the Rostra link contains no Ford applications.

You say pedal installation is very common; that is what I want. I just need some details on how to link the go pedal to the cruise control system...drill hole in pedal arm, attach cable to vac solenoid, etc. with some level of guidance details.

Would appreciate it if someone here could offer a general step-by-step process (just for the pedal connections) with any cautionary notes.

the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
You're welcome. I'm away for a bit and on my iPad at the moment, but you should be able to find something on Rostra's site showing a mechanical connection to a pedal. You just want a straight pull on the top as to not interfere with normal operation.
cruise control with dbw -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
dalegthomas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  

Will do. Thanks. I'm not in a hurry....planning right now but want to be ready in ~6 wks.

KPierson 
Platinum - Posts: 3,527
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 9:13 PM / IP Logged  
Is there not an option for cruise control in the throttle controller? The problem with DBW is that there is no cable, so you can't pull the throttle. Even if you could, with the throttle positions sensors it would put the car in limp mode.
Kevin Pierson
oldspark 
Gold - Posts: 4,913
Gold spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:33 PM / IP Logged  
Hence use its TPS if suitable. Maybe replace with a combo resistive & switch unit?
If the TPS is resistive - hence voltage - connect using an Op-Amp circuit (voltage follower) or some other suitable high-impedance sampling device.
dalegthomas 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 01, 2013 at 10:49 PM / IP Logged  

I'm trying to visualize getting the Rostra 250-1223 to work by using the pedal arm as a stand-in for the throttle cable. I can attach the control cable to the pedal arm , make the adjustment for idle-to-WOT travel and place the controller behind the firewall on the engine side; won't work on cookpit side because there is no fulcrum point above the DBW module. Guess I would have to build an insulated box for the controller 'cause it would be near the headers. Does this make sense?'

Kevin, I don't think there are any options with the throttle. Perhaps with original harness set-up for say a late model Modular 5.0 Mustang. I still have to explore what the difference is between the Mustang, etal and the Ford Racing harness/PCM. Homework.....

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic